Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Developer Preview Released Of Android 7 "Nougat"

Phoronix: Final Developer Preview Released Of Android 7 "Nougat"

Dave Burke, VP of Engineering for Android at Google, announced the final developer preview today of Android 7.0 "Nougat". This marks the last milestone release before the public rollout of Android 7.0 devices later this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be pretty cool if Android were ported to the RISC-V architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Well, UEFI was ported to RISC-V lately, and Google is a RISC-V sponsor too, so it might even happen.

Comment

Too bad Nexus 5 most likely won't receive Nougat, but I'm counting for Cyanogenmod 14

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
          Too bad Nexus 5 most likely won't receive Nougat, but I'm counting for Cyanogenmod 14
          I'm rockin' CM13 (more or less smoothly) on my Galaxy SIII, can't wait for CM14.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Is there any RISC-V implementation for mobiles? Is there anything about RISC-V that's inherently superior to ARMv8?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Is there any RISC-V implementation for mobiles?
              Wrong question. No answer found.

I'll give you the answer to "is there any ASIC (i.e. not a devboard with a FPGA emulating the hardware) RISC-V implementation AT ALL?" as that's close enough.

The answer is "no, but there is a company that is very close to market a couple designs http://hackerboards.com/first-socs-b...c-v-run-linux/ One is a controller so it's not suited, the other is cool, multicorable and supporting high-speed interfaces like usb 3.0, Sata and PCIe 3.0, but afaik it lacks a GPU. "

Is there anything about RISC-V that's inherently superior to ARMv8?
              RISC-V is open hardware (true open-hardware, not closed hardware with open drivers and firmwares), ARM is not.

The hope is to pull a Linux maneuver in the IC hardware design too.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
                If you're looking for a custom sysimage with the simplicity of having someone else build it for you, I suggest that you look closely into OMNIROM instead of cyanogenmod. CM is pretty much the wild west of coding, unstable as hell, constantly broken, and actually quite full of spyware. I quit working with CM and their code back in the 4.4/5.0 days, and I actually spent MANY hours stripping spyware out of their source code before I was satisfied enough to run it on my hardware. I'm not sure what the state of it is now, but I'm sure it isn't any better. After all, they are using their spyware to generate a revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  can anyone tell me the time when i can use andorid appstore(playstore) apps on google chrombook hardware?
                  If the chromebook is in the supported whitelist, you can right now, by switching to the Dev Channel for updates.
                  Using Android apps on the Acer Chromebook R11 is a great glimpse into the future, but the experience mirrors that of the Chromebook Flip: not a finished product and one that needs work.

Comment

Working...
                  X