Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Sees Big Rework, Striving For Multi-DPI Rendering

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Sees Big Rework, Striving For Multi-DPI Rendering

A ton of patches hit GNOME's Mutter this morning by Jonas Ådahl as he's been working towards multi DPI rendering and other improvements by drawing monitor contents to individual frame-buffers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have heard people with HiDPI laptops that then extend their screen with a normal monitor or projector always had issues with DPI scaling in GNOME. Hopefully this makes the experience better.

Comment

I hope KDE Plasma gets this too, I sometimes change the resolution back to 1080p and then everything looks terrible, having different scaling options for different resolutions would be great

Comment

What will be displayed when a window is in between too displays with different DPI? Will it split the window in two different frame buffers or consider that one display is the master of the window?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          What will be displayed when a window is in between too displays with different DPI? Will it split the window in two different frame buffers or consider that one display is the master of the window?
          framebuffers are rectangular. you can't have whole windows in one, but parts of windows in other if they are from same rectangle

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            framebuffers are rectangular. you can't have whole windows in one, but parts of windows in other if they are from same rectangle
            So, from what I understand, it will display a portion of the window with the wrong DPI.

Comment

Welcome to the 1990s, GNOME friends. You have no idea what technology you're going to have to support to catch up the next twenty years, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                Welcome to the 1990s, GNOME friends. You have no idea what technology you're going to have to support to catch up the next twenty years, too.
                As it was an X11 limitation, I think has more to do with your lack of knowledge than anything else.

Comment

I believe Unity already had something like this, because I remember it auto-detected my two monitors at two different DPIs, and when dragging windows between them I could see the window rescale itself when it moved more than half-way onto my second monitor.

Comment

I did this in Arcan a while back -- scribbled down some notes on what that actually took. Quite a painful process :-)
                    Arcan - [Display Server, Multimedia Framework, Game Engine] -> "Desktop Engine" - letoram/arcan

Comment

Working...
                    X