No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To Meet With Wayland, Linux Kernel Developers To Discuss GBM vs. Streams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA To Meet With Wayland, Linux Kernel Developers To Discuss GBM vs. Streams

Phoronix: NVIDIA To Meet With Wayland, Linux Kernel Developers To Discuss GBM vs. Streams

It doesn't look like the NVIDIA Wayland support will be worked out in the immediate future for having an upstream approach that's agreed upon by all developers. However, in September the various stakeholders will meet in person...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can somebody provide a good technical discussion of the pros/cons of GBM vs. EGL Streams?
    So far all I have heard is name-calling against Nvidia for supposedly not following "standards" since they aren't using GBM but from what little I can tell, EGL streams are a cross-platform documented standard that's part of EGL and that goes all the way back to 2012, well before Wayland was a viable project: https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt

Comment

Here's the standards document for EGL streams, which as you can see was approved back in 2011:

Comment

Nvidia dares to use a Khronos defined standard? Better post a Linus middle finger. https://regmedia.co.uk/2012/06/18/torvalds_bird.jpg

Phoronix forum's-ing like a champ. #DoingPhoronixRight

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Can somebody provide a good technical discussion of the pros/cons of GBM vs. EGL Streams?
          So far all I have heard is name-calling against Nvidia for supposedly not following "standards" since they aren't using GBM but from what little I can tell, EGL streams are a cross-platform documented standard that's part of EGL and that goes all the way back to 2012, well before Wayland was a viable project: https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt
          This is basically Mesa vs EGL. Wayland is tied to Mesa which won't work on anything that's not Linux (not a problem for Wayland, but a problem for Nvidia which shares a lot of driver code among platforms), while Nvidia went for EGL because it's cross platform (but what's Wayland to do if it goes EGL and then the world goes all Vulkan?).
          Imho, this isn't something we can figure out on a forum, it's better to let those involved agree on something (not like they're not ignoring us anyway ).

Comment

The best example I can bring for this issue is the side where the drivers seat to drive the car.

Imagine that the whole world drives the car with the driving seat being on the left side, then USA/EU decides that their cars will have the driving seat on the right (like in UK) in the following years, and if you wanna drive a car from them, you have to adequate.

The whole world unite and say "That's not how our cities were planned, the drivers seat on the left and the cars stand on the right side of the lane", but USA/EU says "We are a big economy, we think drivers on the right, cars on the left are the best way, the whole world didn't realize that this standard is the better one."

What happens next, is that USA/EU (Nvidia is this case), will try to push their way because everyone want a car from them, or the rest of the world will heard complains about the USA/EU cars can drive on their country because of politics

Comment

Come on Nvidia give us Wayland and Mir support soon They cant become default without proprietary driver support from you and AMD. Desktops need to step into 21st century, X.org served long and well but it is time for replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                The best example I can bring for this issue is the side where the drivers seat to drive the car.

Imagine that the whole world drives the car with the driving seat being on the left side, then USA/EU decides that their cars will have the driving seat on the right (like in UK) in the following years, and if you wanna drive a car from them, you have to adequate.

The whole world unite and say "That's not how our cities were planned, the drivers seat on the left and the cars stand on the right side of the lane", but USA/EU says "We are a big economy, we think drivers on the right, cars on the left are the best way, the whole world didn't realize that this standard is the better one."

What happens next, is that USA/EU (Nvidia is this case), will try to push their way because everyone want a car from them, or the rest of the world will heard complains about the USA/EU cars can drive on their country because of politics
                Except cities are planned the same way regardless of where the steering wheel is

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  So far all I have heard is name-calling against Nvidia for supposedly not following "standards" since they aren't using GBM
                  Then you haven't been reading the correct places. There's no name-calling on the wayland mailing list, just tons of technical discussion.

Yes EGLStreams are part of Khronos, but only because Nvidia pushed for them and no one objected, but that doesn't mean they had buy-in from anyone else. Standard or no, EGLStreams are a Nvidia thing. OOXML is also a standard, but few will disagree that OOXML is anything but a Microsoft thing.

Comment

And, of course, post unapproved. *sigh*...

Comment

Working...
                    X