Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE 1.1.4 Released, Google Chrome Works

Phoronix: WINE 1.1.4 Released, Google Chrome Works

The WINE community has announced the release of WINE 1.1.4, which is their latest development build made up of open-source work over the past two weeks. New in this release is a better implementation of WinHTTP, additional JavaScript support, the start of the shell AppBar implementation, fixes for Google Chrome support, Chinese translations, and various bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems that it works, but it doesn't Just Work. They want you to make a fresh .wine, but I already have other apps installed and don't want to mess with moving things around and whatnot. Hopefully in WINE 1.1.5, chrome Just Works.

I saw a ton of wined3d things in the changelog, but then I tried halo trial and this week it won't run at all.

The framerate thing is very interesting.. I didn't notice it..

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      They want you to make a fresh .wine, but I already have other apps installed and don't want to mess with moving things around and whatnot.
      If you don't want your .wine folder altered while trying software out with Wine, you can tell Wine to use a different folder. This is very handy for testing. The way this is done is by setting he WINEPREFIX environment variable.

Example:
      Code:
      WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest wine installer.exe
      cd ~/.winetest/drive_c/path/to/installed/program
      WINEPREFIX=~/.winetest wine someprogram.exe
      If .winetest doesn't exist it will be created. Note that Software installed under the .winetest tree does not share the same registry or memory space so programs installed this way cannot directly interface with software installed under the default .wine directory.

This works great for testing software because 1) You start with a clean Wine configuration and 2) If the software doesn't work you can remove it easily and completely by deleting the newly created wine prefix (eg rm -rf ~/.winetest). (Uninstallers do not always work right with Wine and often will leave things behind even under MS Windows.)

I understand that this may not be a "Just works" solution, but I'll take what I can get if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
      X