Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Makes Progress On Its GL Transmission Format

Phoronix: Khronos Makes Progress On Its GL Transmission Format

Next week is SIGGRAPH while taking place now in Anaheim, California is the Web3D Conference. From this conference focused around 3D graphics for the web, the glTF 1.0.1 specification was released and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice to use format based on JSON. Sadly I don't know of any project actually using it. There is a binary format too.
    Happy to see it wasn't dropped

Comment

Hopefully we can start to see so progress towards more 3D assets on the web! Can't wait to give this a shot!

Comment

Just making sure I'm understanding the technobabble:

Is this a communication protocol to send code ready to be rendered on the device's hardware?

Would it be useful for online gaming (so you can keep clients lean and run all on server, safer and cheat-free) or is it too bandwith-intensive?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Is this a communication protocol to send code ready to be rendered on the device's hardware?

Would it be useful for online gaming (so you can keep clients lean and run all on server, safer and cheat-free) or is it too bandwith-intensive?
          Nope. It is a 3D file format with heavy focus on OpenGL/WebGL (maps directly to OpenGL API).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

This is an interchange format. It is designed for exchange models between applications. It is optimized for web use. The web doesn't have direct access to the hardware. This is designed to follow OpenGL isms, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is optimized for hardware, rather it is more optimized for the Javascript VMs it is expected to run on.

(Nothing prevents using it outside of web use, however. )

Comment

Working...
            X