Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.264 VA-API Encode Lands For Gallium3D, Benefits RadeonSI

Phoronix: H.264 VA-API Encode Lands For Gallium3D, Benefits RadeonSI

The latest work landing in Mesa Git has been for H.264 VA-API video encoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting.... would this happen to benefit any DLNA servers?

Comment

A list of userspace programs using OpenMAX or vaapi would be interesting. So one can actually be sure to use the HW ASIC and not block CPU cores for video encoding.
      euses vaapi, euse -I vaapi don't really throw out all that much.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Galloum3D
        As I said earlier, I can record my screen on my intel + HD 7970M laptop with this gstreamer pipeline:
        Code:
        DRI_PRIME=1 LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=radeonsi gst-launch-1.0 ximagesrc display-name=:0 use-damage=0 startx=0 starty=0 endx=1919 endy=1079 ! queue ! videoconvert ! queue ! video/x-raw,format=NV12,framerate=30/1 ! vaapih264enc rate-control=2 ! h264parse ! matroskamux ! filesink location=output.mkv
        All seems to work fine, but the framerate ends up being something like 2-3 FPS.

Encoding a file is also possible with e.g. this pipeline:
        Code:
        DRI_PRIME=1 LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=radeonsi gst-launch-1.0 -e filesrc location=SampleVideo_1280x720_1mb.mp4 ! decodebin ! queue ! videoconvert ! queue ! video/x-raw,format=NV12 ! vaapih264enc rate-control=2 ! h264parse ! matroskamux ! filesink location=output.mkv
        When using this sample video http://www.sample-videos.com/video/m...y_720p_1mb.mp4 it takes 1:09 minutes, which is not very good because the video is 5 seconds long...

The same with the slightly different pipeline that was posted here:
        Phoronix: H.264 VA-API Encode Comes To Gallium3D Thanks to work by AMD developers, there is support for accelerated H.264 video encoding with the VA-API

and that apparently only took 1.284s total.

I know that it's not the VCE support itself, because OMX encoding actually works fine now.

So I guess I should report a bug now that it has landed and still is so slow.

Comment

Does this also benefit r600 class cards with VCE?

Comment

Ah, I found the problem.
            When I run
            DRI_PRIME=1 glxgears
            and start encoding with vaapi it is really slow.
            0.79s user 0.30s system 2% cpu 53.595 total

When I run
            DRI_PRIME=1 vblank_mode=0 glxgears
            and start encoding with vaapi it is a lot faster:
            1.00s user 0.26s system 45% cpu 2.794 total

Edit: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97075
            Last edited by haagch; 25 July 2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

What is vaapi over gallium better than normal vaapi?

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                What is vaapi over gallium better than normal vaapi?
                What do you mean by "normal vaapi"?

It's an API. You implement support for hardware decoding in your driver and expose this support via the API. For gallium drivers, it makes sense to do the implementation in gallium. For non-gallium drivers, it'll obviously be implemented elsewhere. To applications it makes no difference, they'll use the same API no matter where a particular implementation is. That's the point of APIs, to abstract away the underlying implementation.
                Last edited by Gusar; 25 July 2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Oh, radeon did not yet have vaapi support? How did people sceencast using hw encoder before in radeons?

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                    Oh, radeon did not yet have vaapi support?
                    Radeon have decoding via vaapi or via vdpau.

How did people sceencast using hw encoder before in radeons?
                    OMX. With gstreamer let say... something like this:

I'm using Arch x86_64 with gstreamer 1.6.2-1 (And an R7 260x for the GPU) I have the follow packages installed aur/gst-omx extra/libomxil-bellagi aur/gstreamer-screenrecording-git I saw mentions of...

Comment

Working...
                    X