Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI CEC Framework Finally Queued For Linux 4.8

Phoronix: HDMI CEC Framework Finally Queued For Linux 4.8

Four years after Linux kernel work originally got underway for supporting HDMI CEC and after many patch revisions of the rebooted CEC effort over the past year, the Linux 4.8 media pull request is finally set to land this new framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's wrong with the thread generation? I've been waiting for this topic to appear for about 20min (maybe it was stuck in the moderation queue ). I posted in the previous article, but deleted it since it appeared.

So, back on topic:

Hopefully this will lead to more devices supporting HDMI CEC on the market (That is, properly supporting). I really like this technology, but I still don't understand why it is not universally available yet. Even an arduino can implement it. Seriously.
    I don't understand either why every manufacturer feels they need to rename the tech, either. Isn't "CEC" a good enough name?

The only feature I am missing with the DisplayPort specification (or DP over USB, for that matter) is the lack of "HDMI" CEC. That and the fact that not everyone implements audio output.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      Hopefully this will lead to more devices supporting HDMI CEC on the market (That is, properly supporting). I really like this technology, but I still don't understand why it is not universally available yet. Even an arduino can implement it. Seriously.
      I wonder whether it needs specific hardware, or it could be retroactively implemented in a GPU kernel driver. My guess would be hardware is needed.

I don't understand either why every manufacturer feels they need to rename the tech, either. Isn't "CEC" a good enough name?
      Answer : Joe Sixpack won't for a minute think that AquosLink is (under the hood) the same thing as AnyConnect (or whatever). The goal is virtual vendor lock-in.

Comment

About time... from what I recall, CEC is the reason I can't do 5.1 surround through HDMI (well, at least for my particular setup. Every channel that isn't front left or front right is muted).

@M@yeulC
        I'm not aware of what else it is called. To my knowledge, there are certain protocols that utilize CEC (such as ARC) but I don't know of anybody that uses their own name of it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          About time... from what I recall, CEC is the reason I can't do 5.1 surround through HDMI (well, at least for my particular setup. Every channel that isn't front left or front right is muted).

@M@yeulC
          I'm not aware of what else it is called. To my knowledge, there are certain protocols that utilize CEC (such as ARC) but I don't know of anybody that uses their own name of it.
          There are many different "trade names" for CEC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consum..._names_for_CEC
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I kind of doubt it actually is something related to CEC, that sounds more like standard HDMI passthrough/bypass problem because every vendor implements ARC and such on its own way as if there isn't a standard, also, licensing is involved when talking about audio codecs.

Comment

@AMD there is now a framework in the Kernel, so please support it with you gpus.

Comment

Working...
              X