Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relative Pointer Protocol, Pointer Locking & Confinement Land In Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative Pointer Protocol, Pointer Locking & Confinement Land In Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: Relative Pointer Protocol, Pointer Locking & Confinement Land In Wayland's Weston

Wayland's Weston reference compositor picked up support for some new features this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So has Weston yet reached feature parity with modern X11 compositors? If not what's still missing?

Comment

This is fantastic news. This is an issue that not even xorg handles well. Right now the very best solution is wine with virtual desktop. It sucks. I really hope this solves the issue for wayland compositors once and for all.

Comment

Unfortunately the SDL support has still not been merged, so it won't work with any Valve games.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAk View Post
          Unfortunately the SDL support has still not been merged, so it won't work with any Valve games.
          sdl already exists for wayland and mir, at least experimental sdl 2.0.2 and up. for some time already

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

sdl already exists for wayland and mir, at least experimental sdl 2.0.2 and up. for some time already
            I think he's saying that SDL hasn't yet been updated to speak the relative pointer protocol when operating under Wayland.

Comment

If you're up to building SDL2 yourself, here:

Note that X apps running under Xwayland don't have this feature yet as Xwayland server needs to be updated.

Private clone of fdo's xorg/xserver. Contribute to jadahl/xserver development by creating an account on GitHub.

It still a WIP, and jadahl said that, while he got some games to behave, others still have issues. It's mostly corner cases that's left.
              Another issue is that even if you use this patched Xwayland, it won't work well without patched weston, for which I haven't found patches yet.

However, GNOME's mutter has been patched for that:

mutter. Contribute to jadahl/mutter development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

I'm so happy that there's finally a clean solution for this. No more pointer warping!

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                  If you're up to building SDL2 yourself, here:

Note that X apps running under Xwayland don't have this feature yet as Xwayland server needs to be updated.

Private clone of fdo's xorg/xserver. Contribute to jadahl/xserver development by creating an account on GitHub.

It still a WIP, and jadahl said that, while he got some games to behave, others still have issues. It's mostly corner cases that's left.
                  Another issue is that even if you use this patched Xwayland, it won't work well without patched weston, for which I haven't found patches yet.

However, GNOME's mutter has been patched for that:

https://github.com/jadahl/mutter/com...-pointer-warps
                  thanks for sharing that info and thanks to jadahl to sort out one of my wayland bugs

the other is no desktop icons

Comment

I just hope that they plan for some karate trick to get hold of the pointer again if you really need it. For example a hilarious keyboard combo + mouse click pattern or something. Nothing sucks more than having a stuck pointer/keyboard and that usually results in a RESTART (and that is so Windows)

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X