Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.8 Bringing ACPI Low-Power Idle, Intel Denverton Support

Phoronix: Linux 4.8 Bringing ACPI Low-Power Idle, Intel Denverton Support

Rafael Wysocki on Tuesday submitted his power management and ACPI pull request feature updates for the Linux 4.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice to see that current LPI is being enabled with acpi 6.x in the next kernel. However i'd prefer that the devs would fix their regressions in power management for current intel cpus before adding anything new. kernel 4.7 is screwed up big time with intel_pstate and even cpufreq-ondemand making my haswell mobile draw 3-6 watts more compared to 4.6. deeper package states below pc2 are almost never reached!

Comment

meh 4.7 reaches pc8 on my skylake but not as often as on 4.6 indeed. -1h or so of battery life. this need benchmark exposure ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by nkalkhof View Post
        nice to see that current LPI is being enabled with acpi 6.x in the next kernel. However i'd prefer that the devs would fix their regressions in power management for current intel cpus before adding anything new. kernel 4.7 is screwed up big time with intel_pstate and even cpufreq-ondemand making my haswell mobile draw 3-6 watts more compared to 4.6. deeper package states below pc2 are almost never reached!
        A hint: your claims would look way more persuasively, being combined with a link to bugreport.

Comment

Ummm.. Not entirely correct. On my HSW, I have 80%+ in pc7

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

Ummm.. Not entirely correct. On my HSW, I have 80%+ in pc7
            Exactly what is your CPU (Desktop/Mobile IPS/TN Screen, HD4600 or discrete GPU running)? Maybe I did something stupid with the kernel Configuration. Could you send/post your kernel .config please?

Comment

Exactly what is your CPU (Desktop/Mobile IPS/TN Screen, HD4600 or discrete GPU running)? Maybe I did something stupid with the kernel Configuration. Could you send/post your kernel .config please?
              It is not discrete GPU.

CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz

I'm not sure what the graphics family is. The website says: Integrated IntelĀ® Graphics 4400

And lspci says: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)

My kernel is the 4.7.1 stable kernel, hand built. I'll attach my .config.

Comment

Forum doesn't allow large plain text attachment. You can access it here: https://people.debian.org/~rrs/tmp/config.txt.gz
                Note: I'm using the BFQ scheduler with the 4.7 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post
                  Forum doesn't allow large plain text attachment. You can access it here: https://people.debian.org/~rrs/tmp/config.txt.gz
                  Note: I'm using the BFQ scheduler with the 4.7 kernel.
                  Thanks! Will build the kernel based on your config. Question: Did you mean CFQ Scheduler? Cannot find BFQ in the Kernel menuconfig.

Comment

Thanks! Will build the kernel based on your config. Question: Did you mean CFQ Scheduler? Cannot find BFQ in the Kernel menuconfig.
                    That's why I mentioned it. BFQ is an out-of-tree I/O Scheduler. But you should stick with CFQ. That shouldn't have any different results.

Comment

Working...
                    X