Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Expands Focus On Safety Critical APIs

Phoronix: Khronos Expands Focus On Safety Critical APIs

Today is the Khronos day at SIGGRAPH 2016 with several announcements being expected...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm... I've never heard of "safety critical." At least I've googled for the definition.

Comment

It's a "profile" of the OpenGL ES spec. Their working group page at https://www.khronos.org/openglsc/ has more details and images

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Hmm... I've never heard of "safety critical." At least I've googled for the definition.
        Ever heard the saying "if cars were like computers they would run at 5000 mph, do a million miles per gallon, but every so often explode and kill everyone inside" ?

Comment

Actually I would've liked it if they'd expand and make a vulkan/opengl associated open sound api (like directx has direct sound; I'm gettin kinda tired of fmod to be honest)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Actually I would've liked it if they'd expand and make a vulkan/opengl associated open sound api (like directx has direct sound; I'm gettin kinda tired of fmod to be honest)
            How about OpenAL? It's not made by Khronos, but it was designed from the ground up to resemble OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Possibly stupid question, but what does that have to do with GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
                How about OpenAL? It's not made by Khronos, but it was designed from the ground up to resemble OpenGL
                Contrary to what the name suggests, it's proprietary now.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  HDMI ports are on GPU's.
                  Sound decoding on GPU's with an audio block.
                  Sound synthesis in simulations/games by GPU's.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    One word -TrueAudio

Comment

Working...
                    X