Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ Still Trying To Replace The CFQ I/O Scheduler In Linux

Phoronix: BFQ Still Trying To Replace The CFQ I/O Scheduler In Linux

For a number of months there's been an effort to replace the CFQ I/O scheduler with BFQ inside the Linux kernel. That isn't happening for the current Linux 4.8 cycle, but new patches were published today in pursuing this goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for posting this, I was stuck on Fedora with Linux 4.5 because I'm using BFQ and it only supported version 4.5. If you're running Linux on an HDD you gotta try BFQ. No glitches found so far.

Apparently your link is broken:
    Last edited by cl333r; 27 July 2016, 02:09 PM. Reason: Added link.

Comment

Not sure but deadline works just fine for SSDs. I am using it anyway.

Comment

Yeah, it's because of articles like this I laugh my ass off when Torvalds says that 'I want the desktop'. If Torvalds gave a single fuck about the desktop the linux kernel would have had BFQ and BFS long ago.
        Last edited by SaucyJack; 27 July 2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Great news! Next, BFS!

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Great news! Next, BFS!
            There is probably virtue in having the Process scheduler exchangeable as well like I/O schedulers. HPC workloads probably need another type of scheduler for example.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
              Yeah, it's because of articles like I laugh my ass off when Torvalds says that 'I want the desktop'. If Torvalds gave a single fuck about the desktop the linux kernel would have had BFQ and BFS long ago.

BFQ will replace CFQ in kernel soon, no need to be a dick to Linus. CFQ will be transformed into BFQ to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                Not sure but deadline works just fine for SSDs. I am using it anyway.
                If I copy something from my network share, my computer crawls to a halt basically with Deadline if I try doing anything else. It did this on my HDD and SSD. I haven't really tried anything to tweak deadline, but this behavior is pretty consistent across different distros.

Comment

someone has updated bfs vs cfs benchmarks?
                  the newest i found are from 2012 and a lot has changed since then

Comment

For some reason I found that no-op was providing me more responsive experiences on android smart phones than CFQ.

But I thought bfq was more centered around like unicore setups?... was that misinformation?

Comment

Working...
                    X