No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Q2'2016: EFI Improvements, Prepping For FreeBSD 11.0, Package Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Q2'2016: EFI Improvements, Prepping For FreeBSD 11.0, Package Updates

Phoronix: FreeBSD Q2'2016: EFI Improvements, Prepping For FreeBSD 11.0, Package Updates

For FreeBSD fans not closely following its development on a daily basis, the FreeBSD project has released their Q2'2016 quarterly status report that covers various activities going on around this BSD operating system project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it's a bit disappointing that the graphics code won't make it in for FreeBSD 11, but at least it'll be available in PC-BSD, and it sounds like they've got both Radeon and AMDGPU pulled in and being worked on, so it would be nice if they could get caught up with Linux in time for 11.1.

Also hopefully they'll have Plasma 5 readily available on release, because it sounds like they're finally getting things stabilized in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Well, it's a bit disappointing that the graphics code won't make it in for FreeBSD 11, but at least it'll be available in PC-BSD, and it sounds like they've got both Radeon and AMDGPU pulled in and being worked on, so it would be nice if they could get caught up with Linux in time for 11.1.
      I understand they are supposed to have also added graphics acceleration for Intel chips to FBSD 11. That's important to me, because that's what I have in both my machines. FreeBSD 11 beta2 is now out, and the final release should be in the first half of September. I'm definitely going to give it a try, as well as its close cousin PC-BSD 11.

Comment

I would install FreeBSD on my machine, but it still not supporting hybrid graphics. I'm waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Also hopefully they'll have Plasma 5 readily available on release, because it sounds like they're finally getting things stabilized in that regard.
          Darn thing is not "ready" even on Linux. Takes about 20min tops to render machine unusable (utter, total freeze) "playing" (move, resize etc) with multiple Plasma5 widgets. It's always how I've forced Kubuntu with Plasma5 on it's knees and little seems to have improved on that regard.

First I was trying to conf KDE5 same way as I did with KDE4 to get familiar, comfortable look and ran into crashes. Now I "test" it, when it crashes, I just uninstall the penguine and wait next 3-4 months.
          Last edited by aht0; 30 July 2016, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Hmm on Kubuntu 16.04 Plasma5 works at least for me nicely enough, no issues with stability.

Comment

Working...
            X