Tresorit For Linux Released To Provide End-To-End Encrypted File Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tresorit For Linux Released To Provide End-To-End Encrypted File Sharing

Phoronix: Tresorit For Linux Released To Provide End-To-End Encrypted File Sharing

Tresorit is an end-to-end encrypted file sharing service aimed at sharing files among team members. Tresorit has supported Windows, OS X, iOS, Android, and even Blackberry and Windows Phone while now they are finally supporting the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Binary? Ahahahah
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Binary? Ahahahah
      Came (clipboard loaded) to say the same!

...released a native Linux binary...
      Sounds about as "trustworthy" as NS WindowsTM

Ahhh ha hah aha ahha ahh...

Comment

I see why no one heard from them, they expensive if you are alone or up to 9 ppl.

Comment

I tried it out for the duration of the free trial period. It has (had?) the same flaw pretty much every other cloud service I tried out: Files stored in the cloud have to be and are always mirrored on the harddrive where the client is installed. What's the point of cloud storage if you can't use it as a huge external drive?

The only service I found which didn't do this was Wuala, which was shut down by Lacie a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
            I tried it out for the duration of the free trial period. It has (had?) the same flaw pretty much every other cloud service I tried out: Files stored in the cloud have to be and are always mirrored on the harddrive where the client is installed. What's the point of cloud storage if you can't use it as a huge external drive?

The only service I found which didn't do this was Wuala, which was shut down by Lacie a while back.
            I imagine that's a latency workaround? Imagine what editing large files on a system with a slow connection would be like. Much more efficient to cache locally and only sync deltas.

Still, I can't see why it should be compulsory rather than user selectable.

Comment

I second the concern about any binary-only encryption product: how do you know what it is really doing? Could be safe encryption, could be weak encryption, could be backdoored, could even be a deliberately backdoored honeypot. No source=no audit outside the vendor. These folks should use an open source client and rely exclusively on controlling the webserver and storage space to monetize: a paid service accessed only by a free and auditable client. If the service is high-profile they could invite or even hire an audit team to do what has been done with the audit of the old Truecrypt code.

Also keep in mind, you can upload tarballs of LUKS encrypted containers with filesystems on them to any file storage service that does not actively seek to block storage of files they can't read. You control the encryption and LUKS, DM-crypt et all are open source and available for audit by mutually opposing parties. Still, I would recommend using a passphrase not used for any other purpose. Otherwise an adversary who cracks a weak passphrase could use it against your web acccounts or on your local encrypted machines after a raid, burglary, or "burglary."

Comment

Aren't there enough of this kind of services already?

I currently use syncthing for this kind of stuff. Thats decentral, open source, E2E encrypted and allows to share files between different devices, accounts, users, whatever. I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PyroDevil View Post

I currently use syncthing for this kind of stuff. Thats decentral, open source, E2E encrypted and allows to share files between different devices, accounts, users, whatever. I'm quite happy with it.
                  This. Synchthing all day and all the night.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

A workaround is to never install the client, which works with any service that doesn't require the desktop client to function (which Tresorit does because of its encryption policy). I've done this with hubiC, uploading files using the web interface only. I could then delete those files, but as soon as I installed the client, it started downloading everything into a hubiC folder.

(Caveat: this information is ~6 months old.) SpiderOak One requires the client, but does a very poor job of communicating that it can do both storage and syncing. With storage, the client will backup specific folders, but not sync them across devices; these files are accessible only from the specified device and the web interface. Storage should also only upload new files but ignore deletions. So if the client doesn't find your folder (because you deleted it), your files will not be automatically deleted from the cloud; you have to do that yourself. Syncing creates a SpiderOak Hive folder. This folder is synced across devices, and anything in it is uploaded/deleted automatically.

Originally posted by PyroDevil View Post

Syncthing and Tresorit/SpiderOak One/Dropbox/Box/etc. serve different purposes. The former isn't cloud storage.

Comment

Working...
                    X