Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak 0.6.8 Adds No-Desktop Mode

Phoronix: Flatpak 0.6.8 Adds No-Desktop Mode

Flatpak 0.6.8 was released this weekend as the newest feature release of this GNOME sandboxing tech formerly known as XDG-App...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, I'm confused. Does this mean that flatpak can't package CLI and no GUI applications yet?

Comment

Oo, sandboxing! Tell me more!

This software is bringing some pretty fascinating ideas to life. http://flatpak.org/

I want to know if/how much of a performance hit there is from the sandboxing bits.
      Last edited by rabcor; 01 August 2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Wait, I'm confused. Does this mean that flatpak can't package CLI and no GUI applications yet?
        Package yes, run no (until this release).

----------------------- Can Flatpak be used on servers too?

Flatpak is designed to run inside a desktop session and relies on certain session services, such as a dbus session bus and a systemd --user instance. So, is not a good match for a server.
        However, the build features of Flatpak run fine outside a session, so you can build things on a server.
        ------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Package yes, run no (until this release).

----------------------- Can Flatpak be used on servers too?

Flatpak is designed to run inside a desktop session and relies on certain session services, such as a dbus session bus and a systemd --user instance. So, is not a good match for a server.
          However, the build features of Flatpak run fine outside a session, so you can build things on a server.
          ------------------------------
          Is the ability to properly run a sandboxed application (this update allows runnning but not sandboxing it seems) outside of the/a desktop a target of flatpak, or is that outside the goals and scope of the project?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Is the ability to properly run a sandboxed application (this update allows runnning but not sandboxing it seems) outside of the/a desktop a target of flatpak, or is that outside the goals and scope of the project?
            I don't know, it is possible that they think servers are better off with Docker and similar, which is indeed sandboxing in a shape more tailored for servers.
            The only way to know is asking on their mailing lists https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/xdg-app

Comment

Working...
            X