Kodi 17 Alpha 3 Released With New Skins, Improved Music Library & PVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 17 Alpha 3 Released With New Skins, Improved Music Library & PVR

Phoronix: Kodi 17 Alpha 3 Released With New Skins, Improved Music Library & PVR

The third alpha release of Kodi 17 "Krypton" is now available and it has continued landing new/improved functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope there will be a day Kodi is able to record from a HDHomeRun so that I can get rid of the expensive set-top box (~ $13) and the expensive DVR service (~ $9).

Comment

I think OpenELEC can do that...? Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by dxxvi View Post
        I hope there will be a day Kodi is able to record from a HDHomeRun so that I can get rid of the expensive set-top box (~ $13) and the expensive DVR service (~ $9).
        is 22$ expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I think OpenELEC can do that...? Maybe.
          It's a propretary service. Unless they make a linux application, there is no other way other than using the box they give you.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            is 22$ expensive?
            Depends on what you get in return. Paying $22 a month for a sack of shit (you know... reality TV and all that crap) is very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
              Depends on what you get in return. Paying $22 a month for a sack of shit (you know... reality TV and all that crap) is very expensive.
              Well, there is none forcing him to pay for that. I hope.

I mean, here were I live we have to pay a tax that amounts to around 20$ a month to support shitty "public television" (mostly quiz and garbage for 60+ yo, occasional totally unbiased newsfeed, buttloads of ads anyway), but that thing he talked about is 100% his own choice.

Comment

At least "o" gives useful stats again. I would prefer all on 1 page in case of pvr but at least it works now.

Comment

Recording and Timeshift works perfectly if you have an TVheadend server running that supports HDHomeRun.
                  That solution also supports encrypted channels.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, hdhomerun looks like a commercial *competitor* to, I think something like mythtv? And mythtv partially overlaps with the functionality of xbmc/kodi. According to mythtv, they can work happily with a lot of hdhomerun devices https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hdhomerun , and there are ways of integrating xbmc and mythtv; http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR

So I think that you can get where you want by shoving mythtv in between hdhomerun and xbmc!

Edit: xbmc would replace mythtv-frontend. Mythtv-backend will do the work of interfacing with hdhomerun.
                    Setup actually looks pretty straightforward. Mythtv can be a bit awkward to configure, but that is a separate problem from hdhomerun, and you just have to deal with it until you get it figured out.
                    Last edited by droidhacker; 02 August 2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X