No announcement yet.

So Far Ubuntu Phone Hasn't Tempted Me, But Would Highly Consider A Tizen Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Far Ubuntu Phone Hasn't Tempted Me, But Would Highly Consider A Tizen Device

Phoronix: So Far Ubuntu Phone Hasn't Tempted Me, But Would Highly Consider A Tizen Device

With writing this weekend about switching to an S7 Edge powered by Android as my primary smartphone, it generated a flurry of comments in the forums and elsewhere with people wanting to share their two cents. A surprising number of people have contacted me to ask why I didn't buy an Ubuntu Phone or to try to fault me for not buying an Ubuntu Phone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everytime I hear something about Tizen, I think of this: https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/2

Comment

Personally i am trying to figure out which my next sailfish OS device will be.
      I chose sailfish OS over ubuntu and tizen every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
        Everytime I hear something about Tizen, I think of this: https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened/2
        So that's 2 more projects I can continue to blissfully ignore - good my life is becoming simpler

Comment

Is an Ubuntu phone even an option in the US? Last I saw, all they had were some really low end European-network only options. I might have missed something, but I don't think so.
          I was able to almost run Ubuntu on my Nexus 5 a couple years ago. Almost, because it didn't actually work right (no phone calls or sms) and it killed the battery in a few hours time.

Comment

Ubuntu Phone not tapping into the US market is such a elementary fail. Maybe in time they will back up, unfsck themselves and do a proper launch.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              Ubuntu Phone not tapping into the US market is such a elementary fail. Maybe in time they will back up, unfsck themselves and do a proper launch.
              Could it possibly have something to do with patent crap? I couldn't imagine why they would ignore the US market unless they have legal obstacles.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                In order to understand a strategy, you must understand the goal. At this time, the goal is not to be massively popular. The goal is to build an OS and to do it well. There's no hurry. The market is enormous and people aren't going to stop using computers any time soon. The new OS isn't ready for mainstream yet and it would be a very bad idea to market it as such. Of course, in order to build a community, people need access to hardware. That hardware should be made by someone who makes hardware for a living. It should preferably be a phone that's going to be sold anyway, so the risk is minimized.

The USA is an established market and people already have their preferences. It's a difficult market to get into. When the Ubuntu for Phones project was announced, I immediately hoped they would be supported by a Chinese manufacturer that was not established in the USA, but was self-sufficient in China. So I originally hoped for Huawei. But Meizu has turned out to be even better. To them, Ubuntu isn't primarily about selling phones. That's what Android is for. It's about using the Ubuntu community to promote Meizu as a brand by giving it access to good hardware. So Ubuntu users, whether they're using Ubuntu on phones or not, are busy promoting Meizu and this is leaking into the USA as well. The same is true for Bq as well, of course, but they're using a different approach and targeting a different market. But I don't think I would've known too much about Meizu or Bq without Ubuntu. Would you?

It's not an elementary fail, as you put it. It's a good strategy. We get free hardware and they get free marketing. What's puzzling to me, is that there's so few parties. If I were trying to sell phones, I would support all the OSes I possibly could, knowing that those who love those systems would also love me and do so loudly. Surely that marketing must be worth the effort to port the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Could it possibly have something to do with patent crap? I couldn't imagine why they would ignore the US market unless they have legal obstacles.
                  It's not about ignoring the market, but about following the hardware. I explained that in a previous comment, but it got unapproved.

Comment

Interested in Tizen. What a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X