Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 48.0 Now Officially Available

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 48.0 Now Officially Available

Firefox 48.0 is officially available this morning for all supported platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have been looking forward to this release. With the DOM Inspector now part of the native developer tools, I can finally ditch firebug.

Comment

Originally posted by FishB8 View Post
      Have been looking forward to this release. With the DOM Inspector now part of the native developer tools, I can finally ditch firebug.
      Did you try Firefox Developer Edition yet? It's same FF dev channel, so Firebug features have been there for a while longer, and I think there's some more dev tools than regular dist but can't tell for sure, I've been on it for too long to be able to compare versions anymore. It's dev channel so there's the disadvantage that it does get a little unstable some days. It's updated daily though.

Comment

E10S doesn't get enabled for everybody immediatelly.

Here’s what that looks like. When we launch Firefox 48, approximately 1% of eligible Firefox users will get updated to E10S immediately. The 1% of release users should get us up to a population similar to what we have in Beta so we’ll be able compare the two. About ten days after launch, we’ll get another round of feedback and analysis related to the release users with and without E10S. Assuming all is well, we’ll turn the knobs so that the rest of the eligible Firefox users get updated to E10S over the following weeks. If we run into issues, we can slow the roll-out, pause it, or even disable E10S for those who got it. We have all the knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Originally posted by article_quoted
          If we run into issues, we can slow the roll-out, pause it, or even disable E10S for those who got it. We have all the knobs.
          disable E10S for those who got it. We have all the knobs.

We have all the knobs.

all the knobs.
          I knew it, Mozilla are the Illuminati!

This will have many people piss their bed at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            E10S doesn't get enabled for everybody immediatelly.

https://asadotzler.com/2016/06/06/fi...ease-and-e10s/
            It's also just splitting the UI process out from another that contains all the tabs - not multiple processes for different tabs, which will come at a later date.

Comment

"We have all the knobs?" That is the kind of dangerous boast that could attract court orders to push spyware to people's machines. I am not giving anyone permission to push anything to one of my boxes remotely and neither are a lot of other folks, so it also raises other kinds of legal questions.

Beyond that, how are they doing this, and are they only doing "push" updates and reconfiguration in Windows machines or are they trying to subject all users to this? I already have to firewall out a lot of connections to mozilla to use Firefox, and if they are doing this on Linux I need to know what to block or turn off.

The only safe approach would be to vary the default configuration files in downloadable packages offered for download or at browser updates. Where privacy and protection from court-ordered malware is a concern no software can be installed that auto-updates or connects to enable pushed updates. Even the IP address logs are a honeypot for court orders as well as providing the information that would be used to push court-ordered spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                "We have all the knobs?" That is the kind of dangerous boast that could attract court orders to push spyware to people's machines. I am not giving anyone permission to push anything to one of my boxes remotely and neither are a lot of other folks, so it also raises other kinds of legal questions.
                They're just changing a default config setting from enabled to disabled. There's no files being downloaded or anything like that. I assume it won't even override it if you've manually set it to something.

Comment

"We have all the knobs?" That is the kind of dangerous boast that could attract court orders to push spyware to people's machines.
                  They simply look at your add-ons and verify them against a whitelist. If they're not there, the feature is turned off. That why enabling from about:config doesn't work - it will try to enable the feature, but it will give up when it sees an incompatible add-on. And it's done locally afaik, no sending info about your add-ons over the wire.

Comment

"We have all the knobs?"
                    Firefox is set to autoupdate itself by default setting on Windows, so yeah, they can push whatever there since forever. Consider that 99% of their userbase is on Windows.

There is no need to fret and go paranoid mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X