BioShock Infinite Can Run More Than 23% Faster With New RadeonSI Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Can Run More Than 23% Faster With New RadeonSI Patches

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Can Run More Than 23% Faster With New RadeonSI Patches

Marek Olšák at AMD continues optimizing the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for offering much better Linux gaming performance when using this open-source AMD graphics driver code. The latest are double-digit gains for at least the BioShock Infinite game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really just hanging out for stability improvements (particularly around power saving features and running Wine) and OpenGL 4.5 features required to get Dying Light running... but this is great to see. Hopefully when Mesa finally is able to run Dying Light, it will run much faster than the proprietary AMDGPU Pro and fglrx alternatives available for my Fury X (although that probably wouldn't be hard given how painfully slow it runs).

In any case, nice work Marek!

Comment

Great work Marek ! It's nice to see all these optimizations lately.

Comment

By definition, if something else does not break it is fine.

I think fglrx 15.9 introduced Bioshock threaded profile, it would be fine to see if radeonsi can catch up to that with these patches... for proper comparasion of Bioshock, Dirt: Showdown and probably some other VP games '--eon- disable-catalyst-workarounds' is needed, not sure if switch is needed for amdgpu-pro

Well, most VP ports are CPU bound (dunno, might be nature of eON wrapper ) if not all... only maybe Dirt might be GPU bound earlier.

the combined improvement is more than 40%
        Exactly those 40% happened with Catalyst last year, profile+switch=voila
        Last edited by dungeon; 02 August 2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Nice work, I'll definitely have to throw my old (I bought it last year or so, to be honest) 6870 away for one of those Polaris or Vega cards.

Comment

Great work. Thanks, Marek! Sounds like this will make the game playable for me on 290.

Comment

Always nice to see improvements. Sad that magick did not happen, I did not measure the exact fps, leave that to phoronix, but playability is the same for me. Guess 20% is not enough.
              It does not crash on bioshock, that i can confirm

Comment

Originally posted by pewspewpew View Post
                Always nice to see improvements. Sad that magick did not happen, I did not measure the exact fps, leave that to phoronix, but playability is the same for me. Guess 20% is not enough.
                It does not crash on bioshock, that i can confirm
                instead of 5 fps you now have 6?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  instead of 5 fps you now have 6?
                  not that tragic. Sorry for not being specific. It is unplayable with the DX11 settings only: 11+ fps on rx480. On high settings even unpatched mesa went min at 30 fps.
                  I just am a nasty person who can't play most games unless max settings are on.

Comment

Ooh! I'm loving all these performance improvements we are getting with radeonsi :-)
                    Thanks Marek!

Alo pewspewpew the patches hasn't landed yet, there is some discussion re patch 8/8, and how to ensure this doesn't behave out of spec.

Comment

Working...
                    X