Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 5.2 Officially Released

Phoronix: LibreOffice 5.2 Officially Released

The Document Foundation announced the release this morning of LibreOffice 5.2, the latest feature update to this open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also worth reading: https://people.gnome.org/~michael/bl...-hood-5-2.html as it describes many under-the-hood changes.

Comment

It's cool and everything, but I don't think it has much of an audience left.
      I think most users get by with online solutions and those that don't, need MS Office (albeit for a small portion of its features) anyway.
      The work on creating an open document format will be appreciated for years to come though.

Comment

Audience? Well, I am happy to have it. I do most simple stuff in text editors, but next step is LibO and the likes. And I wrote my PhD theses in LibO (no time to get into Tex and the primary referee would have killed me for using LaTex); so it can't be that bad.
        Online solutions / SaaS are for people who have no sense for privacy, people who don't care about anything.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I don't think it has much of an audience left.
          I work as DBA, I use Calc a lot when dealing with CSV files to be imported on database, store result of some query and visualize it later

Comment

I think most users get by with online solutions and those that don't, need MS Office (albeit for a small portion of its features) anyway.
            The work on creating an open document format will be appreciated for years to come though.
            What you wrote reminded me of something I read a while ago: "with all the modern social apps, who uses e-mail anyway?"

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

What you wrote reminded me of something I read a while ago: "with all the modern social apps, who uses e-mail anyway?"
              Agreed. My company probably has 30% libre/open office and the rest on ms office. Most of the engineering staff is non Windows, and MS office just isn't needed for us.

Comment

You are talking of the low-end consumer target, those that would be satisfied by WordPad or whatever is its new version (Notes?), Paint and Microsoft Essentials (it provides a mail client among other things) or the "mail" app in win8/10.

Many users indeed aren't even considering MS office because Win10 already has all the apps (windows apps, not store apps) that they need.

Those that actually need an office suite are those that actually need to make fancy documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.

Based on my past experiences, 99% of MS office users NEVER EVER EVER use other programs than Word or that shitty Outlook.

Also, based on the same experiences, 99.9999999% of total MS Office installations on the planet are non-genuine, but that's another matter alltogether.

Comment

This is great.
                  We've stopped buying Ms office and using libre instead. Email with thunderbird or Gmail web interface. Granted very basic use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Audience? Well, I am happy to have it. I do most simple stuff in text editors, but next step is LibO and the likes. And I wrote my PhD theses in LibO (no time to get into Tex and the primary referee would have killed me for using LaTex); so it can't be that bad.
                    Online solutions / SaaS are for people who have no sense for privacy, people who don't care about anything.
                    I wasted my time on learning Tex, and left thesis undone.

Comment

Working...
                    X