AMD's Marek Prepares Another OpenGL 4.4 Extension For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Marek Prepares Another OpenGL 4.4 Extension For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD's Marek Prepares Another OpenGL 4.4 Extension For RadeonSI Gallium3D

AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D driver could soon be down to just two GL extensions left before seeing OpenGL 4.4 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Marek is on fire! Give that man a cookie! And a Patreon account or something...

Comment

It's for both R600 and radeonsi

Comment

Why is it called radeonsi and not radeongcn by the way? Southern Islands was only the name of GCN 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
          Marek is on fire! Give that man a cookie! And a Patreon account or something...
          Why would he need a patreon for doing his paid job?

Comment

Proposal to Marek: Don't follow the road of the closed driver (nor the Linux neither the Windowz version). Go with your own ideas and make the open driver the best there is. Also listen to other people ideas like those for low overhead on Gallium and an Ultra Fast Path for all State Trackers (example: Shader Cache). Thanks for everything, I believe that you offering is beyond a paid job.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Why is it called radeonsi and not radeongcn by the way? Southern Islands was only the name of GCN 1.0.
              Same reason R300 and R600 were called R300 & R600-- drivers are named after the first generation they are designed for, and they keep that name until new hardware is sufficiently different as to require a new driver. First card that RadeonSI supported was Southern Islands, yes, but they had no way of knowing how long that would stay that way. Maybe a new card, still GCN arch, will come out that RadeonSI can't support anymore. What're you gonna have then? RadeonGCN and RadeonGCN2?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                The drivers tend to be named after the first chip they support, since there is no way of knowing up front how far support will go on. (Same for r100, r200, r300g, r600g...)

For example, AMD might retire the GCN architecture next year and come out with a new one called "XYZ", and then you'd be in the same situation where a radeongcn driver was supporting chips from an XYZ architecture.

Comment

Interesting. If you look at the patch, there's only r600-code but in the docs it claims radeonsi support as well.

Comment

Since I upgraded Mesa to 12.0.1 on my Debian box (via the "official" experimental packages) I'm only getting llvmpipe on my R9 270. :'(

Anyone else with this problem? This is on kernel 4.6 and 4.7-rc7.

Comment

Working...
                    X