Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Open-Source Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD Radeon RX 470

Phoronix: Early Open-Source Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD Radeon RX 470

With my Radeon RX 470 retail unit finally having arrived yesterday, I've been running many benchmarks of this graphics card compared to other AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards under Linux. For your viewing pleasure today is the very tip of the iceberg of many RX 460 and RX 470 Linux benchmarks to be published on Phoronix over the days to come.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still looking for X-Plane 10 benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by wiley_tom View Post
      Still looking for X-Plane 10 benchmarks.
      Still waiting for Laminar to provide me an updated benchmark demo package... Last I checked when trying their demo it's basically like a downloader for all the content. Previously they spun me a lightweight, complete demo package. I haven't heard back from Ben last time I asked him about an updated one for xp10.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for doing these tests.

TBH I think the Nvidia Pascal results should simply be "Did not run - no Open Source Driver"

In addition, why are so many of them at 4K? The 470 is a card aiming at "1080p Ultra" gaming, and some of its specifications are set for that purpose. 4K is going to take a big hit on memory bandwidth and perhaps memory capacity, and therefore the results may not be representative at scale of what the card can do at 1080p.

I presume the 460 is going to be tested at 1080p Medium -> Ultra, as that appears to be what it is targeted at.

Comment

Although to be fair I guess if the card can run the game at >60 fps at 4K maximum quality then that's a fairly good result in itself.

Comment

Hmm, sadly the power efficiency of the hot-clocked 470s isn't really an improvement over the RX480 (which is the 8GB model which already has worse power efficiency than the 4GB models)..

I'll be curious to see if someone does performance/power numbers of a stock clocked 470 at some point just to see if the 470 can actually be more energy efficient than the 480.

Michael : Do the new overclocking bits in Linux 4.8 allow underclocking cards driven by amdgpu? If so, it might be interesting to check out the difference in power efficiency between the overclocked speed and stock clocks when you have some of that mythical free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Hmm, sadly the power efficiency of the hot-clocked 470s isn't really an improvement over the RX480 (which is the 8GB model which already has worse power efficiency than the 4GB models)..

I'll be curious to see if someone does performance/power numbers of a stock clocked 470 at some point just to see if the 470 can actually be more energy efficient than the 480.

Michael : Do the new overclocking bits in Linux 4.8 allow underclocking cards driven by amdgpu? If so, it might be interesting to check out the difference in power efficiency between the overclocked speed and stock clocks when you have some of that mythical free time.
              Nope, from all I've tried, the OverDrive support doesn't allow negative percentages for downclocking... The only option would be to like disable PowerPlay or keep it forced into a lower power state. Haven't seen if there's a power state close to that of the reference speeds.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Why no Vulkan tests? For Doom I've heard AMD to be much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  Why no Vulkan tests? For Doom I've heard AMD to be much faster.
                  As mentioned many times in the article, this initial testing was done with the open-source driver stack.... AMD hasn't released an open-source driver stack... The recent Radeon Vulkan stack started by David Airlie isn't yet useful yet either...... But as mentioned in the article, when I do AMDGPU-PRO tests, there will be Dota 2 numbers.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Those drivers for AMD is starting to look decent compared to nVidia

Comment

Working...
                    X