Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.12 Proposed For Release In One Month

Phoronix: Wayland 1.12 Proposed For Release In One Month

Continuing Wayland release manager Bryce Harrington at Samsung has laid out plans for shipping Wayland/Weston 1.12 in just over one month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would you recommend using it on desktop already? i don't really care about Gnome so some other DE would be requirement. Does it support multiple monitors nicely?

Comment

why wayand doesn't get the same hate rants from "Unix veterans" as with systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        why wayand doesn't get the same hate rants from "Unix veterans" as with systemd?
        There's been quite a lot of complaints about Wayland not being designed as network-transparent, although neither is modern X.

Comment

I think that is because the complaints about systemd do not apply to Wayland. Systemd is usually said to be doing too much, but Wayland could be argued to do too little. I actually think the devs are doing good job keeping things that don't belong to Wayland (the protocol!) out of it, although sometimes they are a bit slow implementing some parts of it. But I think they are doing what they can and making good software takes time anyway.

One of those lately introduced features that at least I would have wanted sooner is middle click paste (or primary selection in X11). They didn't even originally want it, because of security concerns and it had to be planned carefully to include it. Anyway, now we have it and I'm currently running Wayland without problems. I have noticed that my laptop suspends slower now though, but I don't know if that is because of Mutter or what, I should test it with X11...

Also remember that when we are talking about Wayland, Wayland is the protocol and the part that actually runs on the computer is compositor (like Weston, Mutter or KWin). Those compositors use other protocols like D-Bus to implement things that don't belong to Wayland. D-Bus can be used with X11 as well.

Comment

Mostly because wayland isn't used in servers, so "Unix veterans" would not have nothing to say about it, while an init system with various functions does push more buttons in that crowd.

That said, most systemd haters tend to reject Wayland too (and also pulseaudio), just because it is new and they fear new things.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Mostly because wayland isn't used in servers, so "Unix veterans" would not have nothing to say about it, while an init system with various functions does push more buttons in that crowd.

That said, most systemd haters tend to reject Wayland too (and also pulseaudio), just because it is new and they fear new things.
              Systemd usually works now, but Pulseaudio doesn't. It adds significant amount of latency and some clicks and pops with bad hardware (that is, the default stuff you get when you buy any motherboard or GPU with HDMI passthrough). Unfortunately for us mATX/ITX/SBC users, there's no room for good sound cards and I don't know of any professional quality USB sound card that would play basic music like 44.1kHz MP3 without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Systemd usually works now, but Pulseaudio doesn't. It adds significant amount of latency and some clicks and pops with bad hardware (that is, the default stuff you get when you buy any motherboard or GPU with HDMI passthrough).
                The latency is normal, and the clicks/pops with bad hardware are a driver issue.

Unfortunately for us mATX/ITX/SBC users, there's no room for good sound cards and I don't know of any professional quality USB sound card that would play basic music like 44.1kHz MP3 without any issues.
                mATX has all space you need, lolwtf.
                Anyway, try ASUS Xonar U7.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Dude you are fucking idiot making shit up again. Just because that's how you want things doesn't make it that way. In fact Wayland is a totally different concept. It'd designed to do what it does as lightly as it possibly can, ie the right way. PA and systemd on the other hand can't do what they are supposed to do while trying to be beer fetching dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    In fact Wayland is a totally different concept. It'd designed to do what it does as lightly as it possibly can, ie the right way.
                    Systemd and PA too, it's just that people still don't get the basics and just read the FUD spread by someone else and parrot it around.

Don't worry, there are idiot trolls that manage to claim Wayland is against Unix principles too, you only need to come up with crap, it's easy to claim anything.

It's just that by how it is, Systemd gets more spotlight so more flames, PA also is from Lennart so gets some flames too.

Wayland is currently mostly unused, when distros start switching and all shit starts hitting the fan (various bugs, not necessarily in Wayland) you will get flames on it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X