Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma 5.8 Feature Freeze Next Month, To Be The First LTS Release

Phoronix: Plasma 5.8 Feature Freeze Next Month, To Be The First LTS Release

Development on KDE Plasma 5.8 continues to move along with the feature freeze for it being next month. Plasma 5.8 when released in October is going to be the first Long-Term Support (LTS) release of Plasma 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the Wayland experience will be perfect with this release! Can't wait for it!

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
      I hope the Wayland experience will be perfect with this release! Can't wait for it!
      at least "feature parity" with x11 was promised... also wayland allows more quality code and tests, thus it should gain stability faster over time!

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
        I love the optimism, I too, hope that it is good enough for daily driving

Comment

That would be great!

Comment

Anyone know when the proprietary Nvidia driver will support Wayland?

Comment

The proprietary Nvidia driver supports Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
                It does but it uses EGLStreams whilst Gnome/KDE use GBM.

Comment

It does but it uses EGLStreams whilst Gnome/KDE use GBM.

Comment

I assume you meant "properly support Wayland" as technically they support Wayland already, if your DE/toolkit supports EGLstreams instead of GBM that is the current standard.

Given average NVIDIA trends, 1-2 years later than Wayland goes mainstream and they finally get the message that none is giving a fuck about EGLStreams and that AMD and Intel are steamrolling them hard on Linux desktop because of that (not a very large market to lose, but it's still bad for prestige factor).

Comment

Working...
                    X