LLVM/Clang 3.9 Is Shipping Soon With OpenCL 2.0, ThinLTO & Much More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang 3.9 Is Shipping Soon With OpenCL 2.0, ThinLTO & Much More

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang 3.9 Is Shipping Soon With OpenCL 2.0, ThinLTO & Much More

If all goes well, LLVM/Clang 3.9.0 will be released next week. With this major feature release right around the corner, here is a look at some of the exciting features and changes to this open-source compiler stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FINALLY! I've been waiting forever for this release, so I can finally get OpenGL 4.3 support on RadeonSI (and amdgpu). I've been googling LLVM 3.9 once a week since early June.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      FINALLY! I've been waiting forever for this release, so I can finally get OpenGL 4.3 support on RadeonSI (and amdgpu). I've been googling LLVM 3.9 once a week since early June.
      Its been a while that the date of the 22nd of August is announced on the (very ugly) front page of http://llvm.org/ (right column)

Comment

Originally posted by bokal View Post

Its been a while that the date of the 22nd of August is announced on the (very ugly) front page of http://llvm.org/ (right column)
        Oh wow, ugly indeed. On the subject of those dates, was RC2 ever tagged? From what I can see there isn't a tag for it in svn... I would hope this doesn't mean a delayed llvm 3.9 release.

Comment

Does this also means that we get OpenCL 2.0 with the radeon drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post

I don't think there is any plans for OpenCL 2.0 with radeon driver , only GCN hardware supports OpenCL.
            OpenCL 2 and Vulkan is for amdgpu and only the pro driver for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post

No, clang only handles the CLC part of the specs. The runtime support needs to implemented in Clover, you also need to add missing builtin functions to libclc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                I don't think there is any plans for OpenCL 2.0 with radeon driver , only GCN hardware supports OpenCL.
                OpenCL 2 and Vulkan is for amdgpu and only the pro driver for now.
                That's not entirely true. Evergreen and higher support OpenCL 1.0. I did a bunch of libclc development on an old CEDAR card (Radeon HD 5400).

That being said, as orome mentioned, Clang handles the CL syntax/compilation, libclc provides a library of built-in functions, and Clover needs to implement all of the new API methods.

Once all of those pieces support the necessary functionality, CL 2.0 could be exposed in hardware that supports it. For now, we're still working on whichever CL 1.0/1.1/1.2 built-in functions are missing before chasing higher API versions.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual open-sourced AMD CL stack supplants libclc for OpenCL 2.0 capable hardware, and libclc provides support for the pre-GCN hardware. I'm not an AMD employee (and have no inside knowledge), but I could definitely see it playing out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

That's not entirely true. Evergreen and higher support OpenCL 1.0. I did a bunch of libclc development on an old CEDAR card (Radeon HD 5400).
                  There's an 2 missing in that post but since there is no way to edit posts now i couldn't fix it and didn't want to post only for that correction.
                  It should be "only GCN hardware supports OpenCL 2".

Comment

FINALLY! I've been waiting forever for this release, so I can finally get OpenGL 4.3 support on RadeonSI (and amdgpu).
                    you don't need release for that

Comment

Working...
                    X