Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.4 Feature Update Prepares For Release

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.4 Feature Update Prepares For Release

The first release candidate to NetworkManager 1.4 feature update is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by NEWS file
    NetworkManager is now compiled with --gc-sections to reduce executable size
    So many things people can do, just to not finally set `-flto` option by default.

Comment

people still use NetworkMangler ?

Comment

Among the new/improved functionality coming to NetworkManager 1.4 has... support for oFono as modem manager...
        For a moment there I thought the "new/improved functionality" finally included POTS/PPP dialup!!!!!!!! ...but no. oFono is only GSM/UMTS.

Maybe by 2116?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          Yuuuuuuuup, the vast majority of distros in fact.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

What does mean still? In office I migrated from manual editing of `/etc/network/interfaces` to NetworkManger.

NetworkManager unifies a bunch of vastly different network utilities under `nmcil` command utility, and various graphic frontends to it. I think "still" doesn't apply here, it should be used instead of directly configuring a bunch of otherwise not connected between themselves daemons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              So many things people can do, just to not finally set `-flto` option by default.
              Yes, and for a good reason: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/Network...5dcbe462068b2b

LTO is documented to break debuginfo, is considerably slower and brings just 3% size improvement compared to dropping the unused symbols. You're free to enable LTO by passing --with-lto to configure script yourself, but it doesn't seem like a good default.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
                Yes, and for a good reason: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/Network...5dcbe462068b2b

LTO is documented to break debuginfo
                Of course. And that doesn't sound like a good reason even a bit! Release is release, it have to be optimized as possible, and debug symbols does not belong here. They'd be anyway broken in some way due to optimization.
                , is considerably slower
                So what? It is release, it is not used for debugging. I could agree if we were talking about a big project, like browsers. But for NetworkManager it'd add just a minute of time once upon a time, when someone bulds release.
                and brings just 3% size improvement compared to dropping the unused symbols.
                Yeah, except that upon seeing all the object files it optimizes *much* better, and that my point wasn't to compare quality of `--gc-sections` to `-flto`, but that I doesn't see why to not enable the best available optimization instead of nitpicking.
                You're free to enable LTO by passing --with-lto to configure script yourself, but it doesn't seem like a good default.
                It does seem.

Comment

Is there something else, apart from Yast that is OpenSUSE-only?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
                    For a moment there I thought the "new/improved functionality" finally included POTS/PPP dialup!!!!!!!! ...but no. oFono is only GSM/UMTS.
                    Maybe by 2116?
                    Uhm, what do you need that for?
                    Last time I checked, keeping a PC slaved to a plain modem for internet connection was still a Bad IdeaTM on linux just as it was on Windows.
                    Routers usually don't use NetworkManager to communicate to modems.

Do you still want to make plain phone calls from your PC in a day and age where people start dropping landline contracts unless they are bundled with an internet contract (which is what they actually need)?

Comment

Working...
                    X