Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Developers Continue Working On Meson Build System, Much Faster Build Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Developers Continue Working On Meson Build System, Much Faster Build Times

Phoronix: GNOME Developers Continue Working On Meson Build System, Much Faster Build Times

GNOME developers and others in the free software ecosystem continue working on Meson, a promising next-gen build system that's superior to the commonly-used Autotools...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything can be faster than autotool... but how does it compare to CMake, or Ninja?

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      Anything can be faster than autotool... but how does it compare to CMake, or Ninja?
      Meson uses Ninja.

Comment

Interesting, I'm a developer and I've never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

Meson uses Ninja.
          Ninja is make replacement. CMake is autotools replacement (Generates Makefiles, like ./configure and friends). Still, CMake can produce other things than Makefile, including Ninja build files, Visual Studio equivalents and what not.

Comment

Well my first reaction was "Great, just what we needed, another build system" , we already have several and cmake is pretty good IMO but hey, I think anything is better than makefiles and autotools so I really welcome this new one even though I would have preferred they just use cmake.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Ninja is make replacement. CMake is autotools replacement (Generates Makefiles, like ./configure and friends). Still, CMake can produce other things than Makefile, including Ninja build files, Visual Studio equivalents and what not.
              Thanks for mentioning that. I just spent the last hour or so converting my llvm (re)build system to optionally generate ninja files from cmake (as well as using clang/ld.gold), and the initial benchmarks indicate that I may save 5-10 minutes on a clean llvm rebuild with all of these changes in place.

I'll try to test each change in isolation later for performance, but it was a fun way to kill an hour, and now I just have a variable at the top of a script that indicates make/ninja (to go with the previous CC/LD/CFLAGS/etc)

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                Well my first reaction was "Great, just what we needed, another build system" , we already have several and cmake is pretty good IMO but hey, I think anything is better than makefiles and autotools so I really welcome this new one even though I would have preferred they just use cmake.
                cmake is crap, it's just the least smelliest turd
                people use it because there's nothing better

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post

cmake is crap, it's just the least smelliest turd
                  people use it because there's nothing better
                  Why is it crap? What is better while having proof that it can build complex projects like Qt?

Comment

Can somebody give this guy a speakers training!
                    He seems to be pretty brilliant with his rhetoric but this indian dialect is so difficult to understand.

Comment

Working...
                    X