Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Open-Sources PowerShell & Brings It To Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft Open-Sources PowerShell & Brings It To Linux

Lost Internet connectivity for two hours due to a storm and when getting it back up the first news I saw was a surprise: Microsoft has decided to open-up PowerShell and port it to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should instead put bash on Windows by default and just call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      They should instead put bash on Windows by default and just call it a day.
      They have...

Comment

Beginning to respect Microsoft more and more...

Comment

MS is multibilion company i can't believe they do something for free... are they loosing markets? it looks that their phones aren't good as rivals...did Linux forced them to offer Win10 for free??? hm

Comment

(shrug) curious... what would motivate a linux user to learn it, and what would be the possible use cases for this, which couldn't already be handled by bash, python, ruby etc?

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
              MS is multibilion company i can't believe they do something for free... are they loosing markets? it looks that their phones aren't good as rivals...did Linux forced them to offer Win10 for free??? hm
              The simple answer is that the industry is moving towards cloud deployments/ services model and they frequently leverage cross platform tools or Linux to do so. Tools that are platform specific are often a liability because the skills you learn can only be used in limited ways. Microsoft is increasingly making their tools and technologies to be cross platform to get the revenue they are now losing to leaders like Amazon and Google. They don't have the dominant position leveraging Windows like they used to. So this is their new approach and it seems to be working.

Comment

PowerShell, who cares?
                I wait for the day when they finally bring on MS Office.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                  canonical dominates the cloud and they are working together, they help with bash the others with powershell and skype

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
                    (shrug) curious... what would motivate a linux user to learn it, and what would be the possible use cases for this, which couldn't already be handled by bash, python, ruby etc?
                    I suspect the value to Microsoft is in the reverse scenario, making it easier for experienced Windows systems administrators to work on Linux.

If Microsoft's own stronghold, Windows Azure, has fully a quarter of its virtual machines running Linux then just about every enterprise Windows Server customer in the world probably has a hybrid server infrastructure. Making PowerShell work everywhere will probably keep Windows Server on more hardware than having more and more Windows sysadmins learn bash (or python, ruby, perl, etc...) and then abandon Windows entirely.

Comment

Working...
                    X