Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 To Run Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 25 To Run Wayland By Default

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee has decided that Fedora 25 will indeed ship the Wayland display server by default in place of the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unless there is support for NVIDIA GPUs, it's not ready.

Let's also ignore the fact that xwayland still has no pointer locking

Comment

Wow, gutsy move, and I commend them for it!

Comment

i believe Webkit has problems in Waylands also . so i wouldnt suggest you use Epiphany Crap , wonder if there will be issues using Google Chrome in Wayland to? i wouldnt mind betting there will be

Comment

for what I see optimus users wont want to use fedora https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project...ment-217419284

Comment

You guys fail to realize all this means is that some users will have to make an additional click to select X instead of the default Wayland during install.

Comment

I like it. Someone needs to take the jump. Yes, the Nvidia driver situation with Wayland is poor right now, but I suspect people that plan to use Fedora with the Nvidia drivers already knows this limitation and how to install the drivers and use Xorg.

I'm using Wayland as default on my Anger God install on Intel hardware. No major issues. Chromium works very well and MPV has hardware accelerated decode of videos which is nice. This is with Gnome 3.22 so I imagine it will be even better come Gnome 3.24 in F25.

Comment

Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
                I'm using Wayland as default on my Anger God install on Intel hardware. No major issues. Chromium works very well and MPV has hardware accelerated decode of videos which is nice. This is with Gnome 3.22 so I imagine it will be even better come Gnome 3.24 in F25.
                Chromium works out of the box?

Last time i heard there was some code pending to be merged/reviewed/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-Ultimate View Post
                  Until NVIDIA decides to support Wayland, it's not ready.

Let's also ignore the fact that xwayland still has no pointer locking
                  There, fixed it for you.

Comment

Chromium works out of the box because xwayland will automatically load.

fedora also will detect Nvidia and skip Wayland entirely on those machines. Just like it already does for the login screen today.

Comment

Working...
                    X