Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO vs. Open-Source Gallium3D OpenGL Performance On Polaris Is A Very Tight Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO vs. Open-Source Gallium3D OpenGL Performance On Polaris Is A Very Tight Race

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO vs. Open-Source Gallium3D OpenGL Performance On Polaris Is A Very Tight Race

For those wondering how AMD's hybrid "AMDGPU-PRO" Linux driver stack compares to the latest pure open-source driver stack of the AMDGPU kernel driver and RadeonSI Gallium3D driver, here are side-by-side results for the Radeon RX 460, RX 470, and RX 480 Polaris hardware as well as the R9 Fury (Fiji) graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Something is fishy there, openarena for RX 460 was around 190 so level of pro but now is lower.

If it is not user error, then thing looks buggy... but it is newest asic so OK .

Comment

so if devs build and test against mesa it can perform well.
      Looks at metro. If some of these porting houses just did more AMD optimization then the benches wouldnt be so skewed...VK cant come soon enough.

Comment

Metro benchmark run some shit so that can even run, also pro has profile so if game is updated recently profile might be even obsolete.

Comment

Well sometimes you can even find that only benchmark is borked, while game otherwise run fine... everything can happen there

Comment

Cool, Cool.

I know these results may not look too impressive when compared side by side with Nvidia's offerings. I don't think there is any chance OpenGL on any AMD driver could beat nVidia. But, I think the important part to note is that it is impressive when compared side by side with AMD's proprietary OpenGL drivers. Just waiting for Vulkan so that the real competition with Nvidia can begin.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the day when they're thinking they could probably just ditch Catalyst and make Mesa do their bidding.

Comment

Ah duby229, point to not forget is that pro regressed in transition from catalyst too... so do not be so happy very early

Comment

This is a good sign, hopefully AMD will be able to put more and more effort into improving their Gallium drivers and unambiguously reach parity soon. I'm planning a new build in early 2017 and I'm seriously eying AMD since I'm fed up with proprietary drivers.

Have you done any Polaris Windows vs. Gallium/Pro benchmarks? That would be useful you're up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    Have you done any Polaris Windows vs. Gallium/Pro benchmarks? That would be useful you're up for it.
                    Catalyst GL perf was practicaly same on Windows and Linux, only game itself might differ and/or well profiles. So based of how much pro regressed in transition and taken on account these differences... somehow i am not interested to see that Aero vs Unity benchmark

Comment

Working...
                    X