Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 Performance Benchmarks Against Other Linux/BSD Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 Performance Benchmarks Against Other Linux/BSD Distributions

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 Performance Benchmarks Against Other Linux/BSD Distributions

OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 was released last week and since then many Phoronix readers have inquired about benchmarks of it since it's the first major GNU/Linux distribution using the LLVM Clang compiler by default over GCC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was honestly just about to write to you, Michael, that you should benchmark OpenMandriva Lx 3. Great to see that you already had done it. OpenMandriva is actually the most snappy and responsive distro I have used on my ASUS K53SV laptop. The only distro coming close to it is Void Linux Musl. It is strange that it is a lot snappier than other distros that in this benchmar won over it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
      It is strange that it is a lot snappier than other distros that in this benchmar won over it.
      It could be that CPU intensive applications are a bit slower on it, but that desktop (switching between applications, opening stuff) performance is better.
      That could explain the difference between your experience and this benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
        It could be that CPU intensive applications are a bit slower on it, but that desktop (switching between applications, opening stuff) performance is better.
        That could explain the difference between your experience and this benchmark.
        I kind of doubt the effect of compilation is that large, the overall configuration (configure flags, filesystem fragmentation, init scripts, dotfiles) seem more probably. Interactive tests require ABX testing with the same distro, the only difference being the build system used when packaging, if there are live humans involved. You could also do some automated tests like starting up GUI applications, flushing caches inbetween. That would rule out the compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix38 View Post
          I was honestly just about to write to you, Michael, that you should benchmark OpenMandriva Lx 3. Great to see that you already had done it. OpenMandriva is actually the most snappy and responsive distro I have used on my ASUS K53SV laptop. The only distro coming close to it is Void Linux Musl. It is strange that it is a lot snappier than other distros that in this benchmar won over it.
          The three horrendously poor results were were the two Graphics Magick (sic) tests and Apache: Which probably aren't really remotely relevant to anyone - they're really server tasks and OpenMandriva Lx and its target users strike me as about as "desktop orientated" as you could get. All the other results seemed perfectly acceptable.

Still, it's curious why those three tests were so very bad though... do GM and Apache typically compile badly with Clang?

Comment

openMandriva has various specialized kernels... check that out and test those for yourself. good luck

Comment

Working...
            X