Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.8.4 Released With Bug Fixes, Updated GPU Table

Phoronix: Wine 1.8.4 Released With Bug Fixes, Updated GPU Table

For those using the Wine 1.8 stable series until the Wine 2.0 release this fall/winter and not opting to use the bi-weekly Wine 1.9 development releases, Wine 1.8.4 was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So they need a list or even whole database of possible target system GPUs and their capabilities? Wouldn't a driver expose this via environment variables or have an API to request OpenGL compliance or something?
    Just a user asking...
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It is about the right amount of VRAM.
      On NVIDIA cards

Comment

you can https://github.com/wine-compholio/wi...g-on-NVI.patch . Not sure if AMD and Intel have similiar methods.
        It might also not be fast enough for games like Vampire the masquerade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          So they need a list or even whole database of possible target system GPUs and their capabilities? Wouldn't a driver expose this via environment variables or have an API to request OpenGL compliance or something?
          Just a user asking...
          I previously submitted a patch, to Wine, to add some Nvidia cards... The long and short of it is that Wine needs to support both FreeBSD and Linux, proprietary blobs and mesa/drm drivers... So it uses a mesa call to determine the PCI ID of the graphics card. This is then simply passed into one of a few large look-up-tables (depending on the detected driver). It's a bit clunky - but it kinda works I guess!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Just a user asking...
            There are ways of identifying cards capabilities (and RAM) based on GL extensions but they aren't universal. Wine Staging for example uses an Nvidia GL extension to read the amount of RAM the card has.

The table is basically a fall-back or used to set up the names better for Windows programs to read (as their Linux names won't match their Windows names otherwise).

Comment

My feeling from Wine is that it is work which should be done by best of best developers, but in reality is done average guys, because it is not paid enough or its not too much prestige job.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                My feeling from Wine is that it is work which should be done by best of best developers, but in reality is done average guys, because it is not paid enough or its not too much prestige job.
                Agree that many open source developers are hobbyists and may not have the rigor of professional developers. But you're forgetting that there are commercial wine developers too. Codeweavers Crossover, for example, providing pro-grade paid development and support.

Comment

Well but Crossover as far as i understand it also committing into Wine and i dont see their quality improvements.., they are only spamming my email with maybe once available Wine on Android for 2 2D games.. +Crossover licensing price doesnt make sense at all.. - is more expensive over years than whole new Windows PC or Vmware workstation and Windows license.

Comment

Working...
                  X