Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Begins Rolling Out Android 7.0 Nougat

Phoronix: Google Begins Rolling Out Android 7.0 Nougat

Following developer preview releases through the summer, Google is today beginning to roll out Android 7.0 "Nougat" for their Nexus devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vulkan could be cool on tablets, is there anything in the Play Store that uses it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Vulkan could be cool on tablets, is there anything in the Play Store that uses it yet?
      These should work https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-android

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I'm guessing that the first apps that will support it will be those built for Daydream, the VR platform. Unity and the other engines will catch up in a year.

Comment

Not seeing the regular Nexus 5 among the devices getting the update over the coming weeks, so is this the end of mainline support for the Nexus 5? If yes, then I do have to say I'm somewhat disappointed that it reached official end-of-life in less than 3 years. Google's Nexus line is supposed to be better supported than their partners' devices, but it seems like even Google is, like their partners, a big fan of planned obsolescence as the original Nexus 7 also got it's last official update less than 3 years in.

Comment

I don't get Marshmellow update for Nexus 4, so I'm out of luck and got me a Nexus 6P. I want to keep my phone for 3 to 4 years, which Google does not seem happy about that. However, I do want the latest and greatest when it comes to the latest software! Why can't people with Nexus phones keep using it for 5 years or longer if they don't want to get a new phone, but want the latest versions of Android?

How about this: My mom's custom-built computer running Windows 7 has been running since 8 years and still going strong! Yes, I built my mom's computer. Although my family tried out Linux, my family needs Windows for office use and software specifically for school and that's about it, so I wish smartphones were the same, although it's impossible to build an Android smartphone from custom-built components.

Yes, technology changes every day, but that does not mean people will need to replace smartphones and tablets every 3 years.

For Android 7.0, I cannot wait to get my hands in my Nexus 6P.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              Not seeing the regular Nexus 5 among the devices getting the update over the coming weeks, so is this the end of mainline support for the Nexus 5? If yes, then I do have to say I'm somewhat disappointed that it reached official end-of-life in less than 3 years. Google's Nexus line is supposed to be better supported than their partners' devices, but it seems like even Google is, like their partners, a big fan of planned obsolescence as the original Nexus 7 also got it's last official update less than 3 years in.
              Well Nexus 5 will still get security updates just not the newest OS's. I am not sure why google did this as the 5 and 5X are not so different. If I remember right their policy is to support OS upgrades 2 years after last sold in the google play store.

Comment

Shield devices get better updates than Nexus.

Comment

Yeah....about those Nvidia Shield devices. Nvidia has officially dropped production of the Shield tablet and there are rumors that the Shield TV is not going to see a new model on the future. The market has whole heartily rejected Nvidia's ARM products. They are out of phones....they are out of tablets, they are hardly in ChromeOS laptops and as I said before they may not come out with a new a Shield TV. You get GREAT support from Nvidia as long as they continue to make products. Which increasingly they are not.

Comment

Not seeing the regular Nexus 5 among the devices getting the update over the coming weeks,
                    Let the "will my phone get Nougat" games begin!

so is this the end of mainline support for the Nexus 5? If yes, then I do have to say I'm somewhat disappointed that it reached official end-of-life in less than 3 years. Google's Nexus line is supposed to be better supported than their partners' devices, but it seems like even Google is, like their partners, a big fan of planned obsolescence as the original Nexus 7 also got it's last official update less than 3 years in.
                    Nexus 5 is officially left out in the cold indeed. But this is not entirely Google's fault, it's the closed nature of the hardware they use. When the maker of the SoC (or whatever other chip you may have on board) doesn't want to update their drivers, there's not a damn thing Google, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony or anyone else can do about it. That's (part of the reason) why Apple prefers to keep everything in house and why I won't touch a Mediatek equipped phone. It's also why I could never make sense of people's enthusiasm over Cyanogenmod.

Comment

Working...
                    X