Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.24 Released, Vulkan Still Not Supported

Phoronix: Mir 0.24 Released, Vulkan Still Not Supported

Ubuntu developers this week released version 0.24 of the Mir display server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how long until ubuntu will switch to wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      Not until everyone has moved on, including debian #debianstable.

Footnote: see systemd.

Comment

I wonder, does Canonical really think that others will ever adopt Mir? Why don't they want others to use their tech? It feels so sad that they're wasting resources on stuff with NDAs, CLAs, some form of vendor-lockin and Canonical exclusive special features not available to others.

Comment

When you stop trolling, therefore never.

Comment

Whenever Shuttleworth realizes it's just a waste of resources (both money and developer's time)

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post

Whenever Shuttleworth realizes it's just a waste of resources (both money and developer's time)
              I don't necessarily defend Canonical's practices, but frankly I don't see the reason for all the hate against Mir. Let's not forget that Google, for example, has not onr but two different display servers for Linux (Android and Chrome OS, respectively), which are not Wayland either, and no one seems to mind. It seems to me that quite often, the bashing is really against certain people and/or companies, not technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                Let's not forget that Google, for example, has not onr but two different display servers for Linux (Android and Chrome OS, respectively), which are not Wayland either, and no one seems to mind.
                That's probably because those Google OSes are very very different from traditional Linux distros, not just when it comes to the windowing system. Whereas Ubuntu *is* a traditional Linux distro and would be compatible with other traditional distros if not for Mir. Well, there's still the issue of Canonical patching the hell out of everything, which results in most other distros not packaging Unity, but the difference is still a lot smaller between say Ubuntu and Fedora, compared to Fedora and Android or ChromeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  That's probably because those Google OSes are very very different from traditional Linux distros, not just when it comes to the windowing system. Whereas Ubuntu *is* a traditional Linux distro and would be compatible with other traditional distros if not for Mir. Well, there's still the issue of Canonical patching the hell out of everything, which results in most other distros not packaging Unity, but the difference is still a lot smaller between say Ubuntu and Fedora, compared to Fedora and Android or ChromeOS.
                  I think that Canonical's whole idea, for better or worse, is that Ubuntu should a become an OS of its own rather than being a traditional distro. It's bound to make some people angry, of course, but ultimately why not? If they succeed, more power to them, we will finally have a real desktop Linux. If they fail, well there will be plenty of other distros to use.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I don't necessarily defend Canonical's practices, but frankly I don't see the reason for all the hate against Mir. Let's not forget that Google, for example, has not onr but two different display servers for Linux (Android and Chrome OS, respectively), which are not Wayland either, and no one seems to mind. It seems to me that quite often, the bashing is really against certain people and/or companies, not technologies.
                    That's wrong. Google uses Wayland in the Beta and dev Channel of ChromeOS to suppport Android apps with project Exosphere. It looks like ChromeOS has a Wayland server implemented and transports Android apps from the Android container to ChromeOS with Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X