KScreen-Doctor Will Help KDE Developers Improve Multi-Screen Plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KScreen-Doctor Will Help KDE Developers Improve Multi-Screen Plasma

Phoronix: KScreen-Doctor Will Help KDE Developers Improve Multi-Screen Plasma

While the support has been steadily improving, one of the more criticized areas of KDE Plasma 5 has been around the multi-monitor support with various bugs being present. Fortunately, improvements are on the way with KDE Plasma 5.8 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE works quite nicely for me, but recently I've seen weird things. At work (Kubuntu 16.04), my primary and secondary monitors are reversed (panel shows on the secondary monitor). At home (KDE Neon), the panel stays on the wrong monitor, regardless of my primary selection. I haven't had the time to see whether a bug has already been filed, but it's on my todo list.
    That and the "I'll restore windows using monitors and activities of my choosing (or not at all)" are the only bugs standing between me and a perfect KDE experience.

Comment

Sebastian Kügler is awesome, he just fixed a very tedious multiscreen bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365455
      If someone knows of a live distro with Plasma git packages please let me know, I would like to test the fix.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        KDE works quite nicely for me, but recently I've seen weird things. At work (Kubuntu 16.04), my primary and secondary monitors are reversed (panel shows on the secondary monitor). At home (KDE Neon), the panel stays on the wrong monitor, regardless of my primary selection. I haven't had the time to see whether a bug has already been filed, but it's on my todo list.
        That and the "I'll restore windows using monitors and activities of my choosing (or not at all)" are the only bugs standing between me and a perfect KDE experience.
        That is the current main bug being worked on, actually (I believe darkbasic linked to it). With the latest stack in Arch, things are better for me, but the panel does still get a little wonky every once in awhile (vs before when it was doing it all the time).

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Sebastian Kügler is awesome, he just fixed a very tedious multiscreen bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365455
          If someone knows of a live distro with Plasma git packages please let me know, I would like to test the fix.
          KDE neon is the latest and greatest of KDE community software.

Get Developer Edition, it's being generated everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I just installed Neon in my Thinkpad and the bug you describe looks solved here, using a external monitor in the VGA port. But I did a clean install, erasing all KDE config files before installing Neon. Multi-screen is much better handled in the KDE version Neon uses.

The bug that is annoying me is the 2 min delay when you restart or turn off the system. You guys got it too?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I just installed Neon in my Thinkpad and the bug you describe looks solved here, using a external monitor in the VGA port. But I did a clean install, erasing all KDE config files before installing Neon. Multi-screen is much better handled in the KDE version Neon uses.

The bug that is annoying me is the 2 min delay when you restart or turn off the system. You guys got it too?
              That was due to a new systemd policy and was solved with an update a few months ago for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

That was due to a new systemd policy and was solved with an update a few months ago for me.
                The 2 min delay? It still present in the system I just installed.

Comment

Outch. I just restarted the system and the bug of the primary screen is still here. It was correct when I connected the external monitor.

Comment

The 2 min delay? It still present in the system I just installed.
                    What distro? He might be using a distro with newer packages than yours.

Seriously ppl when someone says "works (or not) for me" MUST state the friggin distro for the very least.

Comment

Working...
                    X