No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" Beta Released, Ubuntu GNOME Has Experimental Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" Beta Released, Ubuntu GNOME Has Experimental Wayland

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" Beta Released, Ubuntu GNOME Has Experimental Wayland

Today -- on Linux's 25th birthday -- marks the release of Ubuntu 16.10 Beta 1 for opt-in flavors participating in this "Yakkety Yak" milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i asked already, nevertheless, how much until ditching mir?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      i asked already, nevertheless, how much until ditching mir?
      my guess is no more than 2.5 years from now

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        my guess is no less than 2.5 years from now
        fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          fixed.
          Why are you so confident it will be more than 2.5 years? I'd be surprised if they held out that long unless Mir is magically successful.

Comment

What is the benefit of re-writing Mir using a forked Wayland-protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
              They don't have to re-write Mir, simply supporting the Wayland protocol would make Mir compatible with all Wayland clients.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
                Why are you so confident it will be more than 2.5 years? I'd be surprised if they held out that long unless Mir is magically successful.
                Because they usually conformed to common standards only when it was too late for the project to have any appeal anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                  Not having to develop Mir, and just taking most of the leg work already done from Weston or libweston.
                  Attracting more interest and contributions for Unity as if it runs on Wayland other distros can actually offer it like they offer GNOME/KDE/MATE/LXQt/XFCE and others.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Not having to develop Mir, and just taking most of the leg work already done from Weston or libweston.
                    Attracting more interest and contributions for Unity as if it runs on Wayland other distros can actually offer it like they offer GNOME/KDE/MATE/LXQt/XFCE and others.
                    But Weston would still have to be forked and heavily patched in order for that to even work, right? Are you saying Weston is feature-compatible with Mir? That would be very surprising to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X