Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Can Run Dota 2 With Correct Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Can Run Dota 2 With Correct Rendering

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Can Run Dota 2 With Correct Rendering

David Airlie and Bas Nieuwenhuizen continue making good progress on the open-source, community-driven RADV Vulkan driver for providing Radeon Vulkan support for newer GCN GPUs in the absence of AMD making available their Linux Vulkan driver as open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well that was quick. The speed at which these guys have worked to get this far is scary, even if the code isn't well optimized at all

I also now know that LiveJournal is still a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Well that was quick. The speed at which these guys have worked to get this far is scary, even if the code isn't well optimized at all
      In theory to get correct picture on the screen is hard, to get 80% of the possible speed is harder and last 20% are the hardest.

CIK GPUs kinda work with the amdgpu kernel driver loaded.
      Bork kinda

Comment

freaking amazing, nice job

Comment

The progress really is stunning ... thanks a lot to Dave and Bas !

Comment

Cool! I was not expecting progress like this either. Great work! I can't wait till it's the go-to graphics API for linux.

Comment

Great news, I’m also positively surprised by the progress, although I don’t know for how long they have been working on it. I’ll still probably get a GTX 1060, but anyway…

Comment

Is AMD's Vulkan driver still coming or will this take its place?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  In theory to get correct picture on the screen is hard, to get 80% of the possible speed is harder and last 20% are the hardest.
                  Well, I get ~84 fps with pts on a R9 285 (~87 fps with the experimental RADV_HIZ_DISABLE=0), compared to ~90 fps with mesa, so I think we're past the 80% on this game already. The remaining difference is going to get harder though as the whole state management wrt compressed surfaces is kind of a mess currently.

It also seems that the polaris regression happened due to one of the commits that gave a significant performance boost, so we might need to do a step back for a while.

Comment

First, congratulations for the work, that was fast.

Second, if the driver is passing conformance tests, why the games are having problems? That means that the problem is with a bad implementation of Vulkan in the games? There is conformance tests for games/applications?

Comment

Working...
                    X