Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL ES 3.1 For Haswell Lands With Intel's Mesa Driver

Phoronix: OpenGL ES 3.1 For Haswell Lands With Intel's Mesa Driver

As a quick follow-up to OpenGL ES 3.1 coming for Intel Haswell graphics, those patches have now landed in Mesa Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just needs fp64 to get 4.4 opengl for haswell. I'm assuming the remaining GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility for 4.5 is trivial as ogl es 3.1 is done (some flags or just some minor API updates?).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
      Just needs fp64 to get 4.4 opengl for haswell. I'm assuming the remaining GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility for 4.5 is trivial as ogl es 3.1 is done (some flags or just some minor API updates?).
      GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility should be enabled if you have compute shader support, which requires kernel 4.4 or later.
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

exciting opengl es 3.1 for exciting haswell lands with Intel's exciting mesa driver excitingly.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          exciting opengl es 3.1 for exciting haswell lands with Intel's exciting mesa driver excitingly.
          I'm excited.

Comment

What about a proper vulkan driver for haswell?

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            does haswell even support GL 4.4? on windws it just supports 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
              What about a proper vulkan driver for haswell?
              It's happening, there's a steady stream of patches at the mailing list. Just give it a bit more time.

Once fp64 (GL 4.0) and va64 (GL 4.1) are implemented, Haswell will have 4.5. Everything but those two is already implemented. And by that I mean literally *everything*. fp64 patches are in the process of review right now, but it's a huge patchset, 95 patches, so it might take a while still. Once that's done, va64 should follow quickly, it isn't as big.

Comment

So? Sandy Bridge only supports OpenGL 3.1 on Windows and on Mesa it supports 3.3. The two Intel driver teams are different, and in fact the Sandy Bridge 3.3 support required a lot of work. I guess that on Windows they just didn't think it was worth it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure an Intel dev on this board said that the only graphics that isn't going to 4.5 is the SandyBridge ones, because the lack the hardware to do some stuff and they don't feel like baking it in software.

Besides, if you look at the tables with features, https://mesamatrix.net/ most stuff done is gen7+ (ivybridge), only a few are 8+ and they said they started with newer gens first.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility should be enabled if you have compute shader support, which requires kernel 4.4 or later.
                    I see, so is this just a documentation error then? Shouldn't it be changed in features.txt to hsw+? (it still says gen8+)
                    Last edited by Mystro256; 28 August 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X