Running Caffe AlexNet/GoogleNet On Some CPUs Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Caffe AlexNet/GoogleNet On Some CPUs Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

Phoronix: Running Caffe AlexNet/GoogleNet On Some CPUs Compared To NVIDIA CUDA

With working on some Broadwell-EP Linux comparison benchmarks this weekend, as part of that onslaught of benchmarks I decided to run the CPU-only Caffe build on a few different Intel CPUs. For fun, afterwards I checked to see how the performance compares to Caffe with CUDA+cuDNN on a few Maxwell/Pascal GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice work!

I'm not sure you can get a hold of Intel MKL, but I think MKL vs GPU would be a very interesting benchmark. About 2 years ago, some of my colleagues found MKL was faster for certain kinds of networks/layers. Not sure if this is still true anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
      Nice work!

I'm not sure you can get a hold of Intel MKL, but I think MKL vs GPU would be a very interesting benchmark. About 2 years ago, some of my colleagues found MKL was faster for certain kinds of networks/layers. Not sure if this is still true anymore.
      Unfortunately Intel has never sent over any of their workstation/server.HPC products... Even these days for consumer CPUs it's tough to get them directly from Intel for Linux reviews.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have a presentation on GPU use in the enterprise coming up, this will be a good reference point. These are definitely hitting the mainstream now in application development. I just had my first analytics app come across my desk using CUDA and .NET. The rest mostly use Linux. It's just a matter of time before MSFT uses something like DirectX to scale up SSAS with GPU's.

Comment

Isn't there a utility from AMD to convert CUDA to OpenCL? Would that be worth trying?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately Intel has never sent over any of their workstation/server.HPC products... Even these days for consumer CPUs it's tough to get them directly from Intel for Linux reviews.
            Michael- Intel has optimized Caffe specifically for their CPUs and made it available on github. You should give it a try!

-Matt
            (disclaimer: I work at intel but am speaking only for myself)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

MKL is a software library. You can download Intel's optimized version, freely from their site.
              There's also an OpenCL fork of Caffe, for use with AMD GPUs and the iGPUs inside Intel's desktop/laptop/mobile processors.
              Last edited by coder; 03 September 2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X