Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Working On Improved Low Graphics Mode For Unity 7

Phoronix: Ubuntu Working On Improved Low Graphics Mode For Unity 7

While Ubuntu developers continue work on preparing the Unity 8 desktop for rolling out across all form-factors, Unity 7 is still seeing some new improvements as their interim desktop solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why Unity8 is constantly delayed..

Comment

When getting into Linux, specifically the Debian derivatives, Ubuntu was a no-go because the graphics were too intensive for the PC I was using. Ended up with #!

Comment

Simple and effective.
        Hopefully KDE and GNOME will do the same.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

You can do same in KDE for ages.

Comment

It's good to see them lower the entry barrier for Unity (even though I don't care for it personally). I'm surprised it took them this long after the demise of Unity 2D to do it, but I guess manpower was limited and the Mir push was on.

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Ubuntu was a no-go because the graphics were too intensive for the PC I was using.
            It's not like Ubuntu has a bunch of variants with different desktops or the ability to install/use a different desktop on the main variant. Oh, wait..

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              You can do same in KDE for ages.
              Yo can do the same un Ubuntu for ages too. If yo install ccsm, you can disable all that things.

But this is about the compositor disabling all that things automatically when it detects a low graphics mode. Not about disabling things manually.

Comment

I remember back in 2010-2012 using Unity and the biggest cock block was how 3D didn't crash gracefully. After a xorg or nvidia update I would reboot and be unable to load my Unity Session.

Determined me decided to learn how to use ELINKS and W3M and some other things to manually install nvidia drivers and correct the issue - I think I reinstalled Ubuntu 4 times before learning to drop to TTY1.

Because Ubuntu has the goal of being User Friendly - they failed spectacularly. They decided to take those crashing conditions into their own hands and they planned to create Mir. It seems to be having a better maintainer of the xorg and nvidia packages would have been sufficient instead of creating a whole new project (Yes I understand they secondarily created Mir to have Android GPU Driver comparability -- Ubuntu was never designed to scale down to ARM well, it ran on the top 40% of new x86 PCs at the time.)

Anyways, 2D graphics mode is important to me even if GPU drivers have significantly improved over the years (AMDGPU I'm looking at you :P.)

This change is welcome greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post

Yo can do the same un Ubuntu for ages too. If yo install ccsm, you can disable all that things.

But this is about the compositor disabling all that things automatically when it detects a low graphics mode. Not about disabling things manually.
                  Automatic disabling was implemented since 5.7 or 5.8 as I remember.

Comment

To put 720p (1280x720) as default resolution or even better 404p (720x404) will improve the performance far more than all those other tricks together and with less work.

Comment

Working...
                    X