Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK Developers Continue Firming Up Their Long-Term Toolkit Plans

Phoronix: GTK Developers Continue Firming Up Their Long-Term Toolkit Plans

Earlier this summer at a hackfest of GTK+ developers they came up with a plan for GTK4 and beyond with reworking how they'll do long-term stable releases. With GNOME/GTK+ 3.22 approaching, they are firming up their plans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, this seems to make a lot more sense, or at least the way that Allan explains it. (The chart helps)

3.22 will be LTS with bugfixes for 3 years, and when that's over, 4.X or 5.X should be stable enough for devs to move on to that.

"New minor releases may introduce new widgets, or update the implementation of windowing system protocols in the GDK backends, but no additional features or theme changes will be allowed". So basically 4.0 -> 4.2 shouldn't have any breakage if I understand correctly.

Sounds good

Comment

Much better than the "may become stable around de X.6 release"..

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        "New minor releases may introduce new widgets, or update the implementation of windowing system protocols in the GDK backends, but no additional features or theme changes will be allowed". So basically 4.0 -> 4.2 shouldn't have any breakage if I understand correctly.

Sounds good
        If 4.x really does mean no breakage, then great. But it kind of irritates me how they intend to start version 4.0 when there doesn't seem to be any good reason for the jump. Kinda like the Linux kernel...

Version numbers just don't mean anything anymore. Might as well name things based on date. At least then you don't have to question "wait, how old is this?" and no need to worry about whether it makes sense or not.

Comment

Let's see how "almost stable" the x.9x releases will be..

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            If 4.x really does mean no breakage, then great. But it kind of irritates me how they intend to start version 4.0 when there doesn't seem to be any good reason for the jump. Kinda like the Linux kernel...

Version numbers just don't mean anything anymore. Might as well name things based on date. At least then you don't have to question "wait, how old is this?" and no need to worry about whether it makes sense or not.
            4.0 will be the first stable version with GSK. But beyond that. every x.0 releases will breake API with x-1.0 release. So.. makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

4.0 will be the first stable version with GSK. But beyond that. every x.0 releases will breake API with x-1.0 release. So.. makes a lot of sense.
              break API *from

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Right now GTK 3 is unusable because it changes too often. The reason for switching to 4.x is so that they can continue developing GTK quickly while leaving GTK 3 alone as a stable version. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

"Updates within long-term stable series will be ABI stable." <- what does it mean ??? We are dealing withan Antivirus here.

If they changed API / ABI /themes .....they screw it up the only thing they left it is the name ''GTK'' /without number
                  why they not create a binding library between all versions of GTK to make it possible to adapt my old application with the last GTK without recompile it ??
                  All what we need in this world a sample widgets (a window and some buttons)... why they make it harder .

Comment

benohb: They're explicitly saying what the guarantees are to avoid anyone assuming anything different.

Plan seems quite good. I didn't attend the meeting where this was discussed, but I did talk to Matthias about the drawbacks of the previous plans (very confusing to know what is stable and what not). I suggested to have a "gtk+-next"; this solution is much better (allows for multiple LTS releases)! We already often use the .90 etc versions to indicate that it is a beta for the next version (e.g. 3.21.90 = beta for 3.22.0). Except now it'll be for Y in X.Y.Z instead of the Z.

Comment

Working...
                    X