Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache OpenOffice Proposed For Retirement, Still Being Debated

Phoronix: Apache OpenOffice Proposed For Retirement, Still Being Debated

With the progress LibreOffice is making these days, many of you probably forgot OpenOffice was still even around. It is, but the Apache developers are currently debating the possibility of retiring it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why is this software still alive?

Comment

I wonder if the OpenOffice name will be given to LibreOffice, or if LibreOffice will even want the name having quite successfully built up the name over the years

Comment

Hopefully they give it up soon - Apache has done quite a lot of harm to the open-source office world.

I know a few windows users still using OpenOffice, simply because the brand is still well-known.
        What they get is an open-source office suite which has barely seen any development the last few years, and instead is simply causing confusion by distracting users which actually would like to use LibreOffice.

Comment

pache has very little to do with the whole mess, I think you meant Oracle?

Comment

Ok why did it eat half of my message, and now gives me no option to modify it?

Comment

Retire Apache OpenOffice and rename LibreOffice to OpenOffice. Everyone is happy.

Comment

I'd rather a redirect of OpenOffice to LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  I wonder if the OpenOffice name will be given to LibreOffice, or if LibreOffice will even want the name having quite successfully built up the name over the years
                  Libreoffice won0t change name now, when OO site shuts down most will get the message that they need to switch.

Comment

Kill it already. LO did a really great job of continuing it after Oracle too over (read destroyed) OO. I don't know why anyone would still be using OO these days or why people are still trying to maintain it.

Comment

Working...
                    X