Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMOL-V Is A Compression Effort On Vulkan's SPIR-V

Phoronix: SMOL-V Is A Compression Effort On Vulkan's SPIR-V

Unity rendering expert Aras Pranckevičius has started the SMOL-V open-source project aiming as a compression utility for the SPIR-V intermediate representation used by Vulkan and OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unity haters inbound in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Unity haters inbound in 3... 2... 1...
      So, am I allowed to flag this as a zero content troll post? Oops, no I guess not, because that would itself be trolling..... Ignorance must be bliss....

Comment

So I guess this only makes sense when either implemented into the drivers (in a future vulkan version) or just by the application? Looks like it would be easy to implement on application level.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          So, am I allowed to flag this as a zero content troll post? Oops, no I guess not, because that would itself be trolling..... Ignorance must be bliss....
          Good boy, you answer yourself so I don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Good boy, you answer yourself so I don't have to.
            It's kinda "blissful" how you ignore the fact that post represents a significant proportion of yours. (I wrote it that way specifically to mock you) So I feel good about this. At least in this round about ignorant way you are effectively acknowledging your own trolling....

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              So I guess this only makes sense when either implemented into the drivers (in a future vulkan version) or just by the application? Looks like it would be easy to implement on application level.
              The applications already do something to compress the shaders, but use a less efficient system than what he is using here. So yeah, it's just another tool to make and call instead of the one they are using now.

from his blog post:

At this point I added more shaders to test on, to see how everything above behaves on non-Unity compilation pipeline produced shaders (thanks @baldurk, @AlenL and @basisspace for providing and letting me use shaders from The Talos Principle and DOTA2).
              Turns out, both of these games ship with shaders that are alreayd processed with spirv-remap.

And he said spirv-remap is a compression tool provided by Kronos themselves.

Comment

unapproved post for treba above this.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  It's kinda "blissful" how you ignore the fact that post represents a significant proportion of yours. (I wrote it that way specifically to mock you) So I feel good about this. At least in this round about ignorant way you are effectively acknowledging your own trolling....
                  Nope. I'm just acknowledging what you said, a post flagging my post as "zero content troll post" would be a "zero content troll post".
                  You didn't claim nor I did acknowledge anything about my post being a "zero content troll post".
                  Your English writing skills are improving, but not yet at my level.

Comment

Cool, another Lithuanian, and working in Unity3D.

Comment

Working...
                    X