Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver One Step Closer To Being Merged In Mesa

Phoronix: RADV Radeon Vulkan Driver One Step Closer To Being Merged In Mesa

While the ultimate vision of the open-source Radeon Vulkan driver isn't yet clear with RADV being the front-runner so far as the community-based driver while AMD has yet to open up their official Vulkan driver and there's been few remarks about RADV from AMD employees (aside from John Bridgman in our forums), RADV inched forward today in moving closer to being merged in mainline Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The excitement about AMD is going to release their Vulkan driver not compatible with MESA at some random time in probably distant future was ... somewhat unnecessary.

Thank you radv devs! Going to try it out soon!

Comment

Mesa better to have staging branch and to put those nine and radv... into underground playground

Comment

Wicked - good to see that the vulkan story is evolving quickly I wonder if we will see a similar DX12 mesa backend

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          good to see that the vulkan story is evolving quickly
          Except for the most important part, games...

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            Wicked - good to see that the vulkan story is evolving quickly I wonder if we will see a similar DX12 mesa backend
            Probably unlikely... RADV is a now driver, not just a Gallium 3D state tracker, un like the Gallium 3D state tracker. D3D12 / Vulkan,
            Is too low level for current Gallium. It's very unlikely to see open source devs implement a full d3d12 AMD driver for mesa.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

In that case, I imagine a D3D12 -> Vulkan translation layer would be equally unlikely? Wine will probably have to do something to support D3D12 eventually (probably in a few years).

Comment

Mmmm... AMDGPU for SI, RADV, OpenCL... I can see myself spending a lot of time testing again soon, almost like when radeonsi was new. Everything has been just working - boooring!

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  In that case, I imagine a D3D12 -> Vulkan translation layer would be equally unlikely? Wine will probably have to do something to support D3D12 eventually (probably in a few years).
                  They are already doing that with OpenGL instead.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post

They are already doing that with OpenGL instead.
                    Are you sure the OpenGL implementations aren't just for DX10/11?

I'd honestly be surprised if they decided to do DX12 over OpenGL when it'd be easier to implement over Vulkan and any hardware capable of handling DX12 is recent enough to handle Vulkan too.

Comment

Working...
                    X