Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon Developer OS Switches To Plasma Wayland By Default

Phoronix: KDE Neon Developer OS Switches To Plasma Wayland By Default

KDE developers have decided to switch to Wayland by default for KDE Neon's unstable/developer OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds good. I'm not a KDE user, but the faster distros switch to Wayland, the faster it should be usable for the general audience.

KDE Neon, of course, is the project providing daily spins of the bleeding-edge Ubuntu packages atop Ubuntu.
    Shouldn't that be KDE?

Comment

That's nice, but they don't patch KWin (so far), people like me, running Nvidia's blob will still have to use the X backend. At least that's working nicely these days.
      That aside, the big gain here is more exposure for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        That's nice, but they don't patch KWin (so far), people like me, running Nvidia's blob will still have to use the X backend. At least that's working nicely these days.
        yes... i see that switching to wayland is actually not only a DE task.

Comment

Makes perfect sense due to Wayland being the future at least in Linux desktops, and KDE right now requiring some polish under it.

Comment

If I understand correctly, Xorg will still be available, but Wayland will be preferred if available, i.e. not including nvidia. Basically, the same thing that Fedora is doing in the new release.

Quote from Martin:

That’s part of the things what still needs to be done. We need to ensure that nvidia users still have X by default. We have ideas for it. Please trust us to not be stupid and to understand the problem in general
            EDIT: I doubt they're going to patch kwin for egl streams any time soon, if at all.
            Last edited by Mystro256; 06 September 2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              Makes perfect sense due to Wayland being the future at least in Linux desktops, and KDE right now requiring some polish under it.
              I am sure the BSD teams will migrate to wayland, in time, once the Linux users have found and squashed all the bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

If I understand correctly, Xorg will still be available, but Wayland will be preferred if available, i.e. not including nvidia. Basically the same thing that Fedora is doing in the new release.

Quote from Martin:
                Yes, it's not an issue. I already have both X and Wayland packages installed, the proposed change will probably just install Wayland packages by default and change the default session.
                I was just saying, because Wayland+Nvidia blob=crash and return to the log in screen at the moment.

Comment

Yes, it's not an issue. I already have both X and Wayland packages installed, the proposed change will probably just install Wayland packages by default and change the default session.
                  I was just saying, because Wayland+Nvidia blob=crash and return to the log in screen at the moment.
                  Purely out of curiosity - Does nouveau work?

Comment

Indeed, as I said I doubt they're going to patch kwin for egl streams any time soon, if at all. So I wouldn't count on using Wayland+Nvidia blob in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                    X