Linux 4.9 To Begin Landing Nouveau "Boost" Support For Faster Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9 To Begin Landing Nouveau "Boost" Support For Faster Performance

Phoronix: Linux 4.9 To Begin Landing Nouveau "Boost" Support For Faster Performance

Great news for users of the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" graphics driver: the long-awaited boost patches are now queued up to land with Linux 4.9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That last line in the article seems fairly significant as well... Memory reclocking for maxwell is probably just as important, if not more so, than boost clocks.

Good luck to the Nouveau guys. You've been doing a great job without a ton of support from Nvidia. I'll still be buying AMD chips for my own machines, but that doesn't mean I won't end up with a work laptop with a GeForce in it at some point (and I already have a few coworkers with Nv/Ubuntu setups that I help support).

Comment

There's now a LED driver too for the LEDs on the side of the cards

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
        There's now a LED driver too for the LEDs on the side of the cards
        most important feature!

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

most important feature!
          I remember reading on the mailing list that it would be possible to make the LEDs blink like a heartbeat, would be possible to make it beat faster as the temperature of the card rises? Like a heart beating faster when you are running?

It would be such wow

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

I remember reading on the mailing list that it would be possible to make the LEDs blink like a heartbeat, would be possible to make it beat faster as the temperature of the card rises? Like a heart beating faster when you are running?

It would be such wow
            the LED gets exported through the normal led subdev like keyboard backlight or disc activity LEDs.

Comment

Awesome news! I wanted an Nvidia card for my next build so this is excellent news. I look forward to the day when we can just drop a Linux kernel onto a system and be done with the 3D installation. I installed the mesa 12.01 build from debian experimental last night and it was amazing seeing the GL version jump from 3 to 4.3 without rebooting or making other changes.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

It would be such wow
                Well, you will have to do it in userspace, but this is definitely doable

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  I look forward to the day when we can just drop a Linux kernel onto a system and be done with the 3D installation. I installed the mesa 12.01 build from debian experimental last night and it was amazing seeing the GL version jump from 3 to 4.3 without rebooting or making other changes.
                  You can do this today. Just make sure to get an Intel or AMD GPU - works great.

Comment

Working...
                  X