Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLV8 Is An Experimental LLVM Compiler For V8 JavaScript

Phoronix: LLV8 Is An Experimental LLVM Compiler For V8 JavaScript

LLVM8 is an experimental compiler for the V8 JavaScript Engine as shipped in Chrome, etc. LLVM8 makes use of LLVM's MCJIT for code optimization and while it takes longer to compile this way, the generated code should be superior...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"but the downside is dramatically slower compile times for now"

The usual LLVM downside, unfortunately.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Will LLV8 compiled code be cached to compensate for the slower compile times?

Comment

I thought WebKit already abandoned FTL because the optimizations were not that good and the compile time too long

Comment

Cool. I wonder if this would help with the current x32 woes (Google says they don't have the manpower to maintain the V8 port to x32 and will drop it, unless someone knowledgeable enough comes up).

Comment

I think it would be a lot better to just kill off javascript. I've been running noscript, and I find myself much happier.

Problem with javascript is that most of it is written by people who don't understand the implication of things like infinite loops that don't have a sleep in them. It is very bad policy to allow code written by random people to actually execute on your equipment.

Comment

This could be good for nodejs server applications, which you know your going to run many times after deployment. But eventually a high-level language compiled into WebASM (by LLVM) will overtake it.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                I thought WebKit already abandoned FTL because the optimizations were not that good and the compile time too long
                Yep.
                WebKit's FTL JIT now uses a new backend on OS X — the Bare Bones Backend, or B3 for short, replaces LLVM as the low-level optimizer.

I am surprised that people would bother with this, given Apple's telling us that, while it works (and is better than not doing so), it is not the optimal way forward.

Comment

Working...
                X