Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Android Runtime On Chrome OS Makes Use Of Wayland

Phoronix: The Android Runtime On Chrome OS Makes Use Of Wayland

With Google's Android Runtime for Chrome (ARC) it turns out that this technology for letting Android apps run on Chrome OS is making use of the Wayland protocol and could open up other Wayland clients to running on Chrome OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still find amazing that there is no Android compatibility layer provided out-of-the-box in any major Linux distribution. There are a couple of projects out there, but they don´t seem to be backed up by any organisation.

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
      I still find amazing that there is no Android compatibility layer provided out-of-the-box in any major Linux distribution. There are a couple of projects out there, but they don´t seem to be backed up by any organisation.
      Sailfish OS isn't probably major enough. And even there it's available only to phones sold with license and therefore none of the ports to other phones have it. And it must be installed from software store separately so not quite out of the box even with Jolla phone.

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
        That's because Android is Google's stuff. There is no real monetary benefit in making a layer to run apps for Google, for free.
        And the opensource orgs that work for ideals aren't exactly happy to toil to add a major closed-source app provider to linux.

Google's runtime for chromeOS is mostly open afaik, which allows people to just port it over and run it inside Chromium (Google doesn't really have any good reason to prevent that) https://archon-runtime.github.io/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          That's because Android is Google's stuff. There is no real monetary benefit in making a layer to run apps for Google, for free.
          And the opensource orgs that work for ideals aren't exactly happy to toil to add a major closed-source app provider to linux.

Google's runtime for chromeOS is mostly open afaik, which allows people to just port it over and run it inside Chromium (Google doesn't really have any good reason to prevent that) https://archon-runtime.github.io/
          most likely google shutdown all this projects, maybe a CL for ubuntu touch was the solution for the lack of app's, at least some of them

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            most likely google shutdown all this projects,
            FYI: BSD license does not allow this. So far Google only has asked to not use "Chrome" in the name.

Google's revenue comes from the store (ads and apps), why you think they opensourced this? Same as with Android. It's a trap to get others to expand their market, for free.

maybe a CL for ubuntu touch was the solution for the lack of app's, at least some of them
            Read what I said above. This is NOT what companies investing on Linux want.

With a good enough CL there is no more need to make native apps for Ubuntu Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Sailfish OS isn't probably major enough. And even there it's available only to phones sold with license and therefore none of the ports to other phones have it. And it must be installed from software store separately so not quite out of the box even with Jolla phone.
              It is rather a matter of a closed source, i.e. one can't install Turbo Dalvik wherever they want, and on whatever architecture.
              Well, but aren't Android open source anyway? I'm actually wondering too why wouldn't some of GNU/Linux companies take over a project to run Android apps on GNU/Linux systems — that would bring a big ecosystem with almost no efforts (as opposed to Windows/WINE efforts, and Windows not even free).

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                It is rather a matter of a closed source, i.e. one can't install Turbo Dalvik wherever they want, and on whatever architecture.
                Oh, I didn't know that. Phones are usually armv7, so what is the problem here?

Comment

Sorry if I'm not adding much to the discussion, but what does CL mean? I hate not knowing what words mean...

Google's revenue comes from the store (ads and apps), why you think they opensourced this? Same as with Android. It's a trap to get others to expand their market, for free.
                  I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with googles power over the android ecosystem. Well, actually, it's getting too big and powerful in general.

ell, but aren't Android open source anyway? I'm actually wondering too why wouldn't some of GNU/Linux companies take over a project to run Android apps on GNU/Linux systems — that would bring a big ecosystem with almost no efforts (as opposed to Windows/WINE efforts, and Windows not even free).
                  Android itself is opensource but the play store and google play apps and services are kinda mandatory to have these days. A lot of apps require that the closed source google play services are installed and enabled.

Comment

Well, but aren't Android open source anyway? I'm actually wondering too why wouldn't some of GNU/Linux companies take over a project to run Android apps on GNU/Linux systems —
                    Let's read together what I wrote.
                    "opensource orgs that work for ideals aren't exactly happy to toil to add a major closed-source app provider to linux."
                    closed-source app
                    app

Sure there is F-Droid that is a FOSS store of apps, but 99.9999% of those that want to run an Android app they want to run a binary blob from the Google Store.

that would bring a big ecosystem with almost no efforts (as opposed to Windows/WINE efforts, and Windows not even free).
                    Note that wine is an independent project, and that it's parent company is selling a product also for OSX.

Comment

Working...
                    X