Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS Update "Aurajoki" Released

Phoronix: Sailfish OS Update "Aurajoki" Released

It's been a while since last having a Sailfish OS update from Jolla to talk about, but that's changed with the "Aurajoki" release finally hitting supported devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Perhaps more excitingly, the announcement also mentions that there's a new retail device running SailfishOS, called Aqua Fish (quite a tautology, but hey).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Perhaps more excitingly, the announcement also mentions that there's a new retail device running SailfishOS, called Aqua Fish (quite a tautology, but hey).
      This device is there already for some time, already. And question is, if one can get it outside of India (?). Another device running Sailfish (as a community edition) is the Fairphone 2... https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...fishOS_for_fp2 (still no update there, how this new version works...)

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

This device is there already for some time, already. And question is, if one can get it outside of India (?). Another device running Sailfish (as a community edition) is the Fairphone 2... https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...fishOS_for_fp2 (still no update there, how this new version works...)
        Yes, you can, if you buy it at ebay dot com. But there's an issue with LTE in some countries so you should be aware about it. There is also a Jolla C phone in the market with Europian LTE module but I don't know where it's sold, except Russia.

Comment

Unless you live in India -or willing to take a "risk" - there is no HW available that runs SFOS out of the box. Jolla C was a limited run -and crap HW-.

Other than that you can buy a fairphone 2 and install it yourself.

Comment

I can't wait for Sailfish to go under do it can join Meego in the closed source garbage bin. They used the opensource community, while shit stirring against an ACTUAL opensource mobile OS (Ubuntu touch) the whole. Remember how they were going to opensourselves their interface and application abi? Ha! How many year has it been now? What a joke.

Comment

I don't think I will ever have much interest unless they open source their system.

I even have access to Android's source, there's just no compelling advantage of developing on or using Jolla simply because they have gone back on their word.

Too bad too, their ecosystem would boom with FOSS involvement
              ​​​​​​

Comment

I admit after the N9, Nokia+MS story, I was hyped by Jolla. Nowadays I almost couldn't care less

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Too bad too, their ecosystem would boom with FOSS involvement
                  ​​​​​​
                  Bullshit. The most used -and worth using- FOSS apps (Firefox etc) are developed by paid devs. If the foss community could produce anything worthy they would have already taken mer to another level. Yet all the lazy dickheads cry about others people work not being FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Bullshit. The most used -and worth using- FOSS apps (Firefox etc) are developed by paid devs. If the foss community could produce anything worthy they would have already taken mer to another level. Yet all the lazy dickheads cry about others people work not being FOSS.
                    Bullshit? Dickheads? cry about?

What the fuck is mer.

No need to get mad bro.

The best FOSS apps are developed by paid devs? Lmao.

Firefox = Good? LMAO XD.

Oh man, I should kite you for a exciting conversation, but in all honest I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about as your sentences read as pedantic pshycobabble instead of coherent statements that built off of eachother. So please start over and explain whatever you were trying to say in a skillfully crafted way instead of a spew of qertyitis.

If you fail to make sense in your followup my giveashit will drop to 0 and I will simply move on assuming you have nothing logical or relevant to add to the subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X