Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBeans Java IDE Might Become An Apache Incubator Project

Phoronix: NetBeans Java IDE Might Become An Apache Incubator Project

A proposal posted today is looking to shift the NetBeans integrated development environment from being an Oracle project to one within the Apache incubator space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've used Netbeans for nearly 10 years now. In the last couple years, development of Netbeans has dropped off to a trickle. There used to be a new release every few months with loads of new features. Now there's only a point release every year. Basically Netbeans is in maintenance mode. It currently doesn't even support PHP 7 which has been out for a long time now.

Yet another great piece of software ruined by Oracle. VirtualBox won't be far behind.

Oh well, time to start looking at JetBrain's product offerings, I guess

Comment

I used to use NetBeans but now I'm back to just an old-school text editor.

Comment

“I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.”

Comment

Netbeans is definitely my favorite IDE, whatever they do I hope than they will get more developers to work on it. But I wonder if this is good news.

Comment

I hate to say it, but after OpenOffice, my new gut-reaction has become "Apache is where projects go to die." Which is a shame.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Just move to IntelliJ community edition and say goodbye to Netbeans. JetBrains and Google seem like better stewards of the Java community than Oracle ever was.

Comment

Yet another great piece of software ruined by Oracle. VirtualBox won't be far behind.

[/QUOTE]

i hope not, virtualbox is the best tool for begginners or a great tool to simple test a OS without any effort

Comment

NetBeans was (and still is) the IDE that everybody used in my school for our introductory Java lessons. Quite sad to see it grind to a halt at this point of time, even though I am not a developer.

Still, I cannot stand the circular dependency that all Java IDEs exhibit. Want to use <insert name of Java IDE>? You need Java to run the UI!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    I hate to say it, but after OpenOffice, my new gut-reaction has become "Apache is where projects go to die." Which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                    X