XDC2016 Will Be One Of The Largest X.Org Conferences In A Long Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDC2016 Will Be One Of The Largest X.Org Conferences In A Long Time

Phoronix: XDC2016 Will Be One Of The Largest X.Org Conferences In A Long Time

Next week's XDC2016 conference in Finland will be one of the largest X.Org Developers' Conferences, if not the largest ever...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seeing how Nvidia, just like Intel, also has an office in Finland (and is hiring people right now if job ads I've run into are anything to go by) it really shouldn't come as a surprise that there's plenty of people attending this year's X.Org conference in the same city as their Finnish offices (Intel has their offices in the neighboring city of Espoo so they're not located far away ether). It's not a new office ether, it's the old Hybrid Graphics company that Nvidia bought out and made into their Finnish office way back in 2006.

Comment

L_A_G Finland? does it have anything special for GPU development?

Comment

I'm looking forward to this dal talk.
        Last weekend I tried out andgpu and radeon since a long time ago and at this point it is completely unusable for me. With kernel 4.7 I get corrupted output and flickering above 60 Hz. Still no audio w/ amdgpu, not to mention missing OpenCL and Vulkan support. But not even the basics work...
        It does work on windows or with Intel, though. sigh...
        Also, I'd like to use amd and Intel GPUs at the same time. No problem on windows, not working on windows
        Last edited by juno; 14 September 2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Sadly, just one AMD developer is registered: Harry Wentland, who will be discussing the DAL display abstract proposal for the AMDGPU kernel driver. No sign of John Bridgman or Alex Deucher or any of the other AMD Linux folks this year...
          Yep... looks like it should be a good conference, and I had my finger over the "purchase" button for airline tickets, but we have a number of new chips coming back in the next couple of months so for most of us it's a choice between doing new ASIC bringup on Linux in parallel with Windows for the first time ever at ATI/AMD or going to XDC. Heck of a choice.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... looks like it should be a good conference, and I had my finger over the "purchase" button for airline tickets, but we have a number of new chips coming back in the next couple of months so for most of us it's a choice between doing new ASIC bringup on Linux in parallel with Windows for the first time ever at ATI/AMD or going to XDC. Heck of a choice.
            Dog and pony show or actually treating linux as a first class citizen. Man that's a tough call. /s

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Dog and pony show or actually treating linux as a first class citizen. Man that's a tough call. /s
              Dog and pony shows make the actual work feel worthwhile sometimes; if I had no pride, I would probably choose Dog and Pony any day of the week. There's nothing quite like feeling validated.

Comment

I think that Nvidia and Intel are there to listen to Harry Wentland's talk.
                Seriously i think it's great that the nearby offices of nvidia and intel get to go to XDC2016.

Comment

Not every Intel and NVIDIA devs are locals But yeah, 3 NVIDIAns are non-local and 9 from Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                    Not every Intel and NVIDIA devs are locals But yeah, 3 NVIDIAns are non-local and 9 from Intel.
                    My guess is that that's about the number of people that would attend where ever XDC would be at.

Comment

Working...
                    X